? Wedding Cake Dummies

Decorating By sandy1 Updated 6 Mar 2010 , 10:45pm by sandy1

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 6

First I'd like to thank all of you who responded to my posting of "? $1 per slice"; I declined the position.
I was asked by the bakery to make 5 wedding cake dummies, in different designs, for the venue they are working with. The bakery will be receiving the cake orders (not me). Due to this fact I felt I should charge the same amount that I would normally charge if I was making the real thing for a customer. The eyes of the owners buldged out of their socketd. What are your thoughts???? I don't want to overcharge for these displays but don't want to be taken advantage of either. Could definetly use some advice to this matter.
TIA,
Sandy

5 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 6

I think it is up to you but most people I have talked to charge about 25 - 30 % less for dummies than real cake. Not because the dummies are cheaper but because you save the labour of the baking time. They still need to pay for the decorating time and cover your costs.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 6

Personally, I wouldn't make the dummies either. I don't understand why the bakery would want your work displayed, if you aren't the same decorator that would be filling the orders. Wouldn't they rather showcase the skills (or lack of skills) of the person who will actually be doing the work?

adrigaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adrigaby Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 6

I think the same. And you save the baking time, but the styrofoam (molded or carving) has a cost and labour.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 6

Right...#1 they should not be displaying work that does not belong to their skills...

#2, if you did sell them, yep they should be regular price, and my regular price for dummies is $1 less per serving than real cake.

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for your replies. You gave me food for thought. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%