How To Get Buttercream Smooth?

Decorating By mom2my3girlz Updated 7 Mar 2010 , 3:39pm by amarieholley

mom2my3girlz  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2my3girlz Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 10

some cakes I see here make their cakes with buttercream and it is so smooth that i cannot tell is it buttercream. Its so smooth that it look like fondont covered cakes. How can I get that same result?

9 replies
 KathysCC  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 10

There are a lot of threads here on buttercream, including this huge thread at the top of cake decorating forum:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-1353.html

The best trick that I know is to make sure you make a batch of buttercream that is big enough to fill your bowl so that the beaters are under the icing. That way they don't whip air into the icing.

ninatat  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 1:37am
post #3 of 10

you can also go to u-tube there are quite a few, i like edna's, but watch more than one, hope this helps

JGMB  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 4:16am
post #4 of 10

I always use the Viva paper towel method with a fondant smoother. It works great!

noahsmummy  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 4:37am
post #5 of 10

quick question; i tried the viva method but was left with imprints wfrom the paper towel. =( im in australia and our viva has ripples in it.. is the one is the us totally smooth? it puzzled me..

ginny33  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginny33 Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 4:42am
post #6 of 10

someone once told me you can use the parchment paper/ wax paper in place of the viva, but just make sure everything is crusted over!

noahsmummy  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 7:31am
post #7 of 10

thatnks for that! i will give it ago! and yeah, i used the viva crusting recipe, left it for longer than it said to make sure it def. was crusted.. but it still didnt owkr.. will give the parchment paper a go. =)

Sweet_Guys  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 10

Yes, the U.S. version is completely smooth.

Try Sharon Zambito aka SugarEd Productions aka Sugar Shack's recipe and directions...She has an incredible version that we've adapted to our all-butter buttercream recipe.

Paul

KathysCC  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 2:48pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmummy

quick question; i tried the viva method but was left with imprints wfrom the paper towel. =( im in australia and our viva has ripples in it.. is the one is the us totally smooth? it puzzled me..

We have Viva that is completely smooth. Before I found out about Viva, I used waxed paper. Though I like Viva better, the wax paper can give you a really smooth finish. Just make sure you get a fresh piece each time it sticks. Use a fondant smoother too. I find it works better than my hand.

amarieholley  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amarieholley Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 3:39pm
post #10 of 10

I have also read somewhere that you can use a high density foam paint roller to smooth icing. I have not tried it yet, but it is suppossed to work great. The only thing is not all places sell a high density foam roller so you may have to order one off the internet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%