How To Get Buttercream Smooth?

Decorating By mom2my3girlz Updated 7 Mar 2010 , 3:39pm by amarieholley

mom2my3girlz Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 10

some cakes I see here make their cakes with buttercream and it is so smooth that i cannot tell is it buttercream. Its so smooth that it look like fondont covered cakes. How can I get that same result?

9 replies
KathysCC Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 10

There are a lot of threads here on buttercream, including this huge thread at the top of cake decorating forum:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-1353.html

The best trick that I know is to make sure you make a batch of buttercream that is big enough to fill your bowl so that the beaters are under the icing. That way they don't whip air into the icing.

ninatat Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 1:37am
post #3 of 10

you can also go to u-tube there are quite a few, i like edna's, but watch more than one, hope this helps

JGMB Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 4:16am
post #4 of 10

I always use the Viva paper towel method with a fondant smoother. It works great!

noahsmummy Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 4:37am
post #5 of 10

quick question; i tried the viva method but was left with imprints wfrom the paper towel. =( im in australia and our viva has ripples in it.. is the one is the us totally smooth? it puzzled me..

ginny33 Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 4:42am
post #6 of 10

someone once told me you can use the parchment paper/ wax paper in place of the viva, but just make sure everything is crusted over!

noahsmummy Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 7:31am
post #7 of 10

thatnks for that! i will give it ago! and yeah, i used the viva crusting recipe, left it for longer than it said to make sure it def. was crusted.. but it still didnt owkr.. will give the parchment paper a go. =)

Sweet_Guys Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 10

Yes, the U.S. version is completely smooth.

Try Sharon Zambito aka SugarEd Productions aka Sugar Shack's recipe and directions...She has an incredible version that we've adapted to our all-butter buttercream recipe.

Paul

KathysCC Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 2:48pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmummy

quick question; i tried the viva method but was left with imprints wfrom the paper towel. =( im in australia and our viva has ripples in it.. is the one is the us totally smooth? it puzzled me..

We have Viva that is completely smooth. Before I found out about Viva, I used waxed paper. Though I like Viva better, the wax paper can give you a really smooth finish. Just make sure you get a fresh piece each time it sticks. Use a fondant smoother too. I find it works better than my hand.

amarieholley Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 3:39pm
post #10 of 10

I have also read somewhere that you can use a high density foam paint roller to smooth icing. I have not tried it yet, but it is suppossed to work great. The only thing is not all places sell a high density foam roller so you may have to order one off the internet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%