Advice On Starting A Uk Cake Business Please!

Business By hisbird Updated 8 Mar 2010 , 10:42am by hisbird

hisbird Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 1:09pm
post #1 of 4

I am thinking about making cakes as a business, but i have no ideas of the rules and regs here in the uk.
Can anyone help?
Thanks!x icon_smile.gif

3 replies
60sBunny Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 4

Hi There, its much easier to set up in the Uk than in most parts of america,

First you need to contact your local councils environmental health to get advice and arrange an inspection. Once they have approved you, you can start baking for the public.

If you are cooking food for public consumption you need pubic liability insurance, with product liabilty included. loads of places online can give quotes and arrange payment. I have £5million cover and it costs me about £11 a month.

you will also need to regsister with the HMRC They have link to places with advice etc for new busineses.

Doing this as a business is a whole different ball game to social baking, read through here, all the trials and tribulations and make sure you are ready.

Then you need to get ready for business, you need to assess all of your costs, there are plenty of threads in this section, include everything down to the cocktail sticks you use to test you cakes, cling film!! your time and how much profit you want,

then research the market to find out if people are already paying this amoutn, more? and if your products are comparible or head and shoulders above the rest.

Goodluck in your venture, and this is great place to ask most questions except what would you charge for this? Its such an individual question, its generally poorly received icon_biggrin.gif

rainbow_kisses Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 4

Just as 60sBunny has already said but also factor in your fuel costs, gas, elec and water all have to be paid so this also needs to be considered when pricing your work.And never think about charging your time at amything less than minimum wage as you will find yourself loosing money.

hisbird Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 10:42am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the advice.x

Quote by @%username% on %date%