How Do I Divide A Sheet Cake Into Pieces?

Decorating By cookingfor5 Updated 6 Mar 2010 , 3:02pm by cookingfor5

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 6:08am
post #1 of 3

I have a customer/friend who needs a last minute cake for a business dinner. They have always had a cake that has dividing lines for each individual piece. I have heard about this, but have never done this. Do I buy something for it or do I measure it out? I hope someone understands what I am trying to explain. It looks like a grid with individual flowers/rosebuds on each piece of cake.

2 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 8:12am
post #2 of 3

oh lord please dont' do that. nothing screams grocery store cake more than the grid-with-a-flower-in-the-middle thing.

People tend to want that to help them make sure they cut the cake right to get the right number of servings. We cakers are thinking "it's a sheet cake ... how hard can it be?" but to some people, it IS brain surgery.

What I've done is incorporate a marking in the border design. Every 2", I'd put a special icing mark (colored dot, a special white swirl). The cake is "marked" for cutting, but it's not grocery store design. then i'd show the person "see these marks? that's where you cut the lines. Connect this side to the corresponding mark on the other side and you're good to go!"

never had an issue with this system.

but ... to answer your original question (yeah, I did go off track there, didn't I?) you can do sligh indentations with a flower in the middle of the indents (use the side of a long knife, a skewer, your spatula). If you want to draw icing lines, let gravity do the work. Your icing will work better if it's thinned down a bit. Hold the icing bag slightly above the cake, squeeze and let gravity pull the string of icing down onto the cake and in place.

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 3

It's for a farm show. Mainly men going to be there, so I am not too worried about the lines making it look like too generic. I have seen one before she had done and it was o.k. I know she always orders that as a seperate sheet cake, but this is only for serving. Not going to be a display cake. That all makes sense. I am going to put a rosebud on each piece also. Thanks for your advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%