Cream Cheese Filling Issues?

Decorating By NikkiB912 Updated 7 Mar 2010 , 1:36am by NikkiB912

NikkiB912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiB912 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 5:22am
post #1 of 4

I am making a last minute cake for a friend of a friend's birthday. She wanted chocolate cake with cream cheese icing. I am semi-new to making cakes (I just finished all of the Wilton classes) so I decided to use a buttercream for the outside since I've had experiences with runny CC icing. Well I used CC icing for the filling and it seems like my top cake keeps trying to slide off the top! I have it all in the fridge now in hopes to thicken everything up but I am so frustrated! It was thick when I had applied it to the cake! Also, I did a 1/2 Crisco 1/2 butter buttercream and it seems to be wanting to melt a bit and not crust. This cake is a disaster! Does anyone have any suggestions in the future about using cream cheese icing? I don't think there's any saving this cake considering she's picking it up in 4 hours.

3 replies
kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 7:01am
post #2 of 4

I have no idea, sounds really odd to happen if it was thick when you put it on. But here's a bump and hoping you can keep it together (the cake I mean) till serving.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 7:48am
post #3 of 4

I use Cake Raven Mans (raven cake mans- oh I can't remember) cream cheese icing, for filling, and not for icing a cake, never had any problems with using it for filling. I like Swiss meringue buttercream for icing a cake, it smooths beautifully.

NikkiB912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiB912 Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 1:36am
post #4 of 4

I have tried to make a Swiss Merinigue BC before but no luck...I think it's where I live (Okinawa, Japan...tropical island). I stick with the Wilton recipe for now since I'm new to cake decorating and haven't had any issues with it. I stuck the cake in the fridge for a few hours and it stayed together enough for my friend to pick it up...whatever happened after that, I don't know. I told her what was going on and told her to keep it in the fridge. Lessons learned!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%