leah_s Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:31am
post #1 of 28

is called to order.

Who's up?
Whatcha workin' on?

27 replies
leah_s Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:32am
post #2 of 28

I was finished hours ago - just one 4 tier wedding cake this weekend. But after last weekend, which included 34 hours straight working, this weekend is appreciated!!

LKing12 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:42am
post #3 of 28

I have finished a red velvet cheesecake and I have a 25th wedding anniversary cake-3 tiers- that needs the topper. I'll finish in the morning.

KKristy Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:43am
post #4 of 28

Glad that you can catch a little break this weekend !
I'm making some strawberry cupcakes (trying a new recipe)and strawberry IMBC - yum

leah_s Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:45am
post #5 of 28

Out of curiosity, do you use different recipes for cupcakes versus cakes?

KKristy Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:50am
post #6 of 28

I have always used the same recipe for both, unless I need to have a more sturdy cake to carve, then I use a recipe that will produce a more dense cake. How about you...do you use different ones for cupcakes?

leah_s Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:52am
post #7 of 28

Nope, I use the same recipes, but I do use different baking temps. Higher for cupcakes. And I've found I like a conventional oven, not a convection oven.

KKristy Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:54am
post #8 of 28

how did the wedding cake turn out ? Is it finished ?

Smashme Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:55am
post #9 of 28

no cakes for me this week, i'm just putting together a list of all the cake goodies i want to buy. my hubby gave me a pretty good budget to work with for stuff to buy on our vacation. I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for flower cutters and instructions. I've found a lot of good stuff on youtube but i like to have a hard copy to look at.

Sherry1030 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:00am
post #10 of 28

Just working on a zebra birthday cake with a loopy bow - WASC with ganache filling, smbc and then covered in fondant. Just discovered gumpaste today - mixed it with the fondant to make the loops and LOVE it! So much easier to work with! Wondering if it would be ok to use the combo to cover the cake with.. Also tried using the fondant without using ps or cornstarch, just crisco and it worked out really well. Learn something new with every cake - and everytime I log onto this site!
Oh, and also got my CC magazine from GSA today too! It was a good day!

KKristy Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:01am
post #11 of 28

How fun Smashme ! Where are you going on vacation? I have a huge and very expensive wish list myself !

Smashme Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:03am
post #12 of 28

San antonio! we go to visit family so the stay is free, so i get to stock up on goodies so my hubby doesn't have to hear me say "i want, i want, i want" all the time. icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:04am
post #13 of 28

Yes,my cake was finished hours ago. Four tiers, covered with white icing flowers made directly on the cake. No pattern, just start making flowers. I've done it several times and love doing it.

Sherry, gumpaste adds nothing good to the taste of fondant, so I wouldn't use 50/50 to cover a cake. You add the gumpaste to make the fondant dry faster and harder - not good things for the outside of the cake.

7yyrt Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:05am
post #14 of 28

Not making anything this weekend, but I'm trying to figure out what to do for DD's birthday.
She wants an ice cream cake from Dairy Queen. icon_cry.gif
Hubby will probably get her one, but...

I was thinking of making something really, really 'girly' like a pink poodle cake for her, because she hates poodles.
and 'girly.' LOL
(BTW: She's turning 25)

Jenn2179 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:07am
post #15 of 28

I finished a few hours ago for tonight too. 4 tier wedding cake, 2 tier b-day cake and 2 single tier b-day cakes. I will put the finishing touches on the wedding cake tomorrow plus I have a consultation tomorrow too.

Ruth0209 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:08am
post #16 of 28

I'm working on a two tier birthday cake for a 9 year old. It's tiny - 4" and a 6" rounds. White fondant with red fondant coming down the front like a red carpet, gumpaste poles with gold knobs on top to go around the bottom tier with purple ropes (to look like the ropes they use to keep the commoners off the red carpet), and a purple gumpaste crown on top with metallic gold accents and a gold "9" on the front. Her mom let her pick out the theme and colors. I think it'll be cute. She wanted pound cake with chocolate ganache filling. Seemed like a kind of odd combo to me, but the samples taste good enough. It's hard for ganache to NOT be good!! Or pound cake.

Right now I'm waiting for my cakes to chill and my fondant to warm up.

leah_s Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:09am
post #17 of 28

You do consultations on Saturdays? I've never done that! I'm either setting up a wedding or enjoying a Saturday off.

KKristy Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:10am
post #18 of 28

okay Leah....I have to ask about that twinkie cake in your photos....I know there has to be a story for that one !

leah_s Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:10am
post #19 of 28

Hey, pound cake and chocolate is classic!

kayla1505 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:15am
post #20 of 28

I'm about to start working on a dummy cake, but I've been procrastinating

Jenn2179 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:17am
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

You do consultations on Saturdays? I've never done that! I'm either setting up a wedding or enjoying a Saturday off.

I don't usually do Saturday consultations either but I have 2 on Sunday and my husband and boys are out of town so tomorrow was a good time for me.

Sherry1030 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:18am
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Yes,my cake was finished hours ago. Four tiers, covered with white icing flowers made directly on the cake. No pattern, just start making flowers. I've done it several times and love doing it.

Sherry, gumpaste adds nothing good to the taste of fondant, so I wouldn't use 50/50 to cover a cake. You add the gumpaste to make the fondant dry faster and harder - not good things for the outside of the cake.

Thanks Leah - glad I asked! It was just so much easier to work with that way..

Suzycakes Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 6:07am
post #23 of 28

I'm here again too. Already finished 3 dzn cookies for a baby shower (duckies), and cookies for a bouquet - which is assembled, delivered one cake and working on 2 more right now. DH painted some gumpaste turkey feathers, made a call and shotgun shells for another cake I have ready to go for delivery tomorrow.

Then tomorrow I will attempt a 3D Thomas The Train engine cake . . . . . for a birthday party tomorrow at 5:00 - it could be a really long day or a fantastic night . . . . . wish me luck!

Suze

Lcubed82 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 6:30am
post #24 of 28

Just finished 24 cookies for a Relay for Life trivia night for tomorrow. Also 5 big soccer cookies for a cookie bouquet; will assemble that in the morning.

mamawrobin Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 6:41am
post #25 of 28

Finished two birthday cakes and working on some dummies. Can someone tell me how long SMBC will keep in the refrigerator?

catlharper Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 6:51am
post #26 of 28

Finished baking the cakes for my two tier Oscar Party cake for Sunday. I've been making the fondant/gumpaste pieces for over a week now. Made the fondant and its all wrapped and in the fridge. Will put it all together tomorrow except for the final placing of the pieces which I'll do on Sunday. We've done this for 15 years now, big party, lots of people and, as always, the cake is the centerpiece so each year I have to top the year before! LOL!

alene Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 7:06am
post #27 of 28

Just finished a Princess Castle cake. I'm glad I'm finished with that one!!!

Renaejrk Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 7:13am
post #28 of 28

I don't know where you all get your energy. It seems lately I can hardly make myself get anything done! I'm just doing 4 dozen cuppies for tomorrow. Baked and cooling. Made modeling chocolate 3s to go on them. Still haven't made the FMBC, but waiting for kitchen to cool so it sets up better. Once that is done they will come together quickly (though I just realized I still have to cover the board I bought in foil - argh).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%