First Wedding Cake! Please Help Me!!

Decorating By ikapicka13 Updated 6 Mar 2010 , 5:08pm by ikapicka13

ikapicka13 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:14am
post #1 of 6

Hello all. My boyfriend's best friend's fiance has asked me to make their wedding cake. Now she IS aware that I've never done one before, but I'm still feeling the pressure for it to be absolutely perfect.

My first practice cake has been a disaster! The bc would not smooth out at all, so the fondant would also not smooth out at all! I did find some info about the Melvira method and think I might try that, along with the flower nails in the cake to make it bake a little flatter.

BUT what is the best way to smooth out the fondant? I have one of the Wilton fondant smoothers and was wondering if this is the best method?

I also have to make a green bow for the top, with the bow ends kind of flowing down the sides of the cake. I don't like how the bow looks (it has kind of a matte finish) any ideas? Also, any ideas on how to get a somewhat shiny peridot color? Mine came out a little too gray.

Lastly, the cake itself is a coffee pound cake with a chocolate mousse filling. I got the consistency of the batter and filling perfect, but after trying instant coffee, espresso powder AND brewed coffee, I'm running out of ideas because I still cannot taste it!

Sorry for the laundry list of questions! Any help is greatly appreciated!

5 replies
lorieleann Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 6:42am
post #2 of 6

i just happen to be making my first wedding cake for a friend, and putting it together tonight. I read the great reviews, but finally just tried using ganache as a base under the fondant. It is amazing! I have never gotten fondant so smooth icon_biggrin.gif It has also taken me a while to figure out how thick the fondant should be--i tend to roll it too thin which leads to more bumps. It really just gets easier the more cakes you cover as you find your feel for the process. I use the wilton fondant smoother, but honestly with the ganache and using piping gel on the cake, my hands were enough.

good luck with it. The flavor sounds great--not sure how to bump that up. are you using strong coffee as all your liquid? that's the only think i can think of.

Renaejrk Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 7:08am
post #3 of 6

If you want to make something shiny there are a few different things you can do depending on exactly what look you are going for. You can steam it a little to make it shine, or you can paint it with a pearl dust or luster dust which will give you either a shimmery pearl effect or a more metallic one. If you use the pearl dust on the gray it would be really pretty. You could even mix a little nu silver luster dust and pearl which would be neat too.

marknelliesmum Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 6

Hey there
I always use Jkalman's buttercream under fondant and have no problems - you can add pretty much any flavours you like to it. Good point about rolling it out too thinly - this just creates problems including air bubbles, lumps and bumps showing and the fondant tearing if it's a big cake you are covering so i usually leave it about 4mm thick (difficult to eyeball but i reckon its about that icon_rolleyes.gif ) If it's a square cake sort all of the corners before you do anything then i flatten with my hand then a smoother. I reckon a smoother is vital - what looks ok in the light of your kitchen can look awful under different lighting conditions just use very very light pressure. Not sure i've been any help but practice is key - fondant just needs to know who the boss is icon_wink.gif
Good luck

SandiOh Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 6

I'm suprised you can't taste the coffee using expresso powder. How much did you use? Did the chocolate filling taste overpower it so you couldn't taste it. Why don't you put a little expresso powder in the filling and make it mocha so you get some added coffee flavor.

ikapicka13 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all so much for the help! I did end up using a little shimmer powder for the bow, I put it on with a bit of shortening and it looked great!

I think I do just need a little more practice with the fondant, and showing it who's boss!! icon_smile.gif

As for the coffee, I read somewhere that you should use 1 teaspoon espresso powder or instant coffee for every egg you use, so thats what I tried. I tried using brewed coffee for the liquid in the cake, but that didn't really work either, so I think I might try using brewed espresso instead.
I don't think the chocolate overpowered it. I tried a few bites from the cake top that I leveled off, and I couldn't taste it in there either.

I LOVE the idea of putting coffee in the filling, thank you! Sounds yummy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%