Wilton Cake Strips Users?

Decorating By emlashlee Updated 7 Mar 2010 , 7:06pm by emlashlee

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:05am
post #1 of 23

I live in high altitude and constantly battle the dip in the center of the cake (yes, I add flour and use flower nails). I thought I might try the Wilton cake strips. The cake turned out terribly! There was a hard crust on top of the cake and the cake was so moist it fell flat after 45 minutes of baking an 8"! What in the world happened? Does anybody like these/use these?

22 replies
Smashme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smashme Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:28am
post #2 of 23

i to live at/with high altitude. I've mostly baked cakes from boxed mixes or doctored mixes. But i have had better luck with using the strips then without using them.

emlashlee Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:46am
post #3 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashme

i to live at/with high altitude. I've mostly baked cakes from boxed mixes or doctored mixes. But i have had better luck with using the strips then without using them.

May I ask what extender recipe you use? I use doctored mixes, also, and am currently using the Enhanced Cake Forumla extender. I love the taste, but still get the dip after adding 2T of flour.

Also, how hard do you squeeze the strips to get the excess water out? Do you pinch hard and pull down, or lightly run your finger down the strips?

moonliter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moonliter Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:56am
post #4 of 23

I absolutely love those strips, like a miracle worker for my cakes. I just finished baking 2 with them a few minutes ago. no bulge on top, perfect light brown color. I do have to keep checking my oven to make sure it stays between 325 and 350 and adjust it along the way, that would be the only thing I can think of. Oh, I also do not live in high altitude.

Smashme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smashme Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:59am
post #5 of 23

i use the wasc recipe on this site, and i just lightly run my fingers over the strips, i don't ring it out. i've also found it works better if you let them soak 10 min or so.

moonliter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moonliter Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:03am
post #6 of 23

Oh yes, I let them soak at least 1/2 hour before I use them, that appears to make a big difference, then I do use a little bit of pressure to get the excess out.

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:08am
post #7 of 23

I can't bake a cake without them. Nice level tops! Keep my oven at 350, some people lower the temp to 325. Sounds like you have a different problem though, as the strips slow the baking down, to keep the center from crowning. Yours sound like they are not baking enough.

brandywinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandywinecakes Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:08am
post #8 of 23

I also love the strips. It's like night and day when I don't use them. I don't live in a high altitude location, though.

Ren715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren715 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:09am
post #9 of 23

I also use the WASC recipe and the bake even strips. I run them under the faucet for a minute or so until I feel they are wet enough, and then run them through my fingers (but not lightly). Mine are damp when I attach them to my cake pans. I'm amazed on how beautiful my cakes look. Nice golden color, basically flat...couldn't ask for more. I live pretty close to sea level.

emlashlee Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:10am
post #10 of 23

Hmmm...maybe I'll give it another shot tomorrow. It sounds like it works for you guys. I wonder what in the world I did wrong?! I did use the Darn Good Chocolate cake recipe from this site and it is very dense. I wonder if that made a difference?

Should I expect to get a hard crust on top, or was that just part of my wacky first attempt?

brandywinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandywinecakes Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:16am
post #11 of 23

Mine do not crust on top. They are a nice golden brown. Maybe it is the recipe? Either way, good luck! I hope they work for you becuase they can be so helpful when they work right!

Ren715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren715 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:18am
post #12 of 23

I never get a hard crust on top. As a matter of fact, the top is very moist.

emlashlee Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:20am
post #13 of 23

Okay, so yeah, it's just me. icon_smile.gif Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it!

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:31am
post #14 of 23

Maybe it's not you, could it possibly be your oven?

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:47am
post #15 of 23

I have used the bake-even strips on every cake I have ever baked since I first bought them, about 2400 in 21 years. The only time I have ever had a problem was when I used a strip that was too long and wrapped it around the pan twice. It was a WASC, the top was hard and crusty, but I finally gave up. That cake never got done on the sides. Gooey and yucky. I mixed another batch and baked a new one, using a shorter strip. Baked perfectly that time.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:13pm
post #16 of 23

I'm wondering if it could be your recipe. Have you tried a cake made straight from the box. How do those cook for yo?

emlashlee Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 9:38pm
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

I have used the bake-even strips on every cake I have ever baked since I first bought them, about 2400 in 21 years. The only time I have ever had a problem was when I used a strip that was too long and wrapped it around the pan twice. It was a WASC, the top was hard and crusty, but I finally gave up. That cake never got done on the sides. Gooey and yucky. I mixed another batch and baked a new one, using a shorter strip. Baked perfectly that time.

Ah Ha!!! Yes - actually I did wrap the strip around twice. I bought the large package of strips so I could use them on 10" and larger cakes - I didn't know it would cause a problem when I used them on an 8" cake. Can they be cut to size?

emlashlee Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 9:40pm
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

I'm wondering if it could be your recipe. Have you tried a cake made straight from the box. How do those cook for yo?

Hmmm...that's a good question! I usually like to add things to my mixes so I'm not sure how it would turn out. Worth a try I guess. icon_smile.gif

emlashlee Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 9:42pm
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolmk

Maybe it's not you, could it possibly be your oven?

I would say it's probably not helping. I bake two 8" cakes at a time and just lately I started noticing that the one on the left side of the oven is getting done much faster than the one on the right. I would love to get an electric oven with gas top. Oh, how wonderful that would be! icon_smile.gif

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 9:56pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by emlashlee

Quote:

Ah Ha!!! Yes - actually I did wrap the strip around twice. I bought the large package of strips so I could use them on 10" and larger cakes - I didn't know it would cause a problem when I used them on an 8" cake. Can they be cut to size?

Oh no! icon_lol.gif Wrapping twice could definitely be your problem!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 10:04pm
post #21 of 23

I always use the strips & the cakes are perfectly even. I actually soak my strips overnight so they really absorb the water & just lightly run my thumb down the center before applying them to the pan.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 2:44am
post #22 of 23
Quote:

Quote:

Yes. you can cut them to size. I do suggest hemming the ends so the strips are easier to pin without ripping/pulling loose. Also, you can pin two together to go around a larger pan too! thumbs_up.gif

emlashlee Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 7:06pm
post #23 of 23
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes. you can cut them to size. I do suggest hemming the ends so the strips are easier to pin without ripping/pulling loose. Also, you can pin two together to go around a larger pan too! thumbs_up.gif

Oh, good. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%