How Do I Colour White Gum Paste

Decorating By chillilannie Updated 8 Mar 2010 , 5:03pm by chillilannie

chillilannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chillilannie Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 1:43am
post #1 of 6

Is it OK to use food colouring to colour gum paste? If so, how would I make a Lapis Purple colour?

I have tried painting it a solid colour, it did not work well, and dusting it all one colour became very uneven.

5 replies
cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 1:57am
post #2 of 6

Yes - the gel food coloring like Americolor works the best, but wilton color will work fine. Just start out adding a small amount of color to the paste and kneading it in and work your way darker. I always color my gum paste for my flowers a shade lighter than I want them then dust them with petal dust. It is easier to dust colored gum paste than plain white, takes less petal dust.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:00am
post #3 of 6

i looked at a piece of jewelry on line. it looked like dark royal blue and dark purple combined. beautiful color.

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

i looked at a piece of jewelry on line. it looked like dark royal blue and dark purple combined. beautiful color.

it would take some trial and error, but make a couple of practice little pieces. i would color the paste blue and then use blue and purple luster dust. Just dust the piece in layers to get the effect that you want. The luster dust will help add the jewel tone sparkle. There are soooo many shades of luster dust that you could probably come pretty close to the color you want.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 6

Also, when you're finished dusting, steam them to give it a nice shine!

Paul

chillilannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chillilannie Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you everyone for all your tips. They have all been very helpful, it's so great for a novice to receive this much help from so many. I have played with the colour and found by tinting the white gumpaste with brown first, then adding burgundy, then deep violet it has turned to the perfect shade of purple. I then dusted them with eggplant petal dust and steamed them, absolutely perfect. Thanks again too all of you for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%