Which Type Of Fondant?

Decorating By CakesByJenna Updated 6 Mar 2010 , 11:32pm by Jack031

CakesByJenna Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 18

Is there a difference in quality, appearance, ease of use or tase between MMF, regular fondant, and pre-made fondant? Which recipe do I use??? I am new to the cake world an LOVING every minute of it!

17 replies
mslesuer Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 18

Hi CakesByJenna:
I'm new too and I love using Satin Ice rolled fondant....it taste great and is very easy to work with!
HTH

Ladybug09 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 18

I think it's a personal preferance. I have used MMF & I now use Satin Ice & I love Satin Ice.

noahsmummy Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 11:12pm
post #4 of 18

if your looking to make fondant yourself; i would say start with mmf! rhondas ultimate mmf is great. i tried to make regular fondant myself, which ended in disaster, mmf is really easy, and great to work with. =) im a total newbie too.. if that counts for anything...lol. ive never used store bought fondant so i cant comment there.

tyty Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 18

I use MMF and have used Satin Ice fondant. Satin ice is pretty easy to work with but you have to make sure you add shortening because it dries out if you're not really fast.

metria Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 18

I just recently gotten over my shyness for trying another fondant recipe other than MMF. I've tried Toba Garrett's and Michele Foster's Update recipes (both on this site). I really like Toba's because it's pretty simple and in convenient proportions.

In my humble opinion, if you're going for taste, go MMF. If you're going for looks, I like gelatin/corn syrup (like the 2 recipes I mentioned) because it's easier for me to work with.

LuvLyrics Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 11:33pm
post #7 of 18

I am new too, and so far I rather use Satin Ice, I've tried wilton and did not like it at all, in my opinion it cracks easy and it's very dry...I still have been brave enough to make my own.

malene541 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 11:44pm
post #8 of 18

I've never bought Satin Ice (I would have to drive at least 2 hours to find it) but have bought Wilton and I thought it was awfull!! It dried out very fast and smelled and tasted really bad (my opinion). I LOVE LOVE the MMF! I love that I have tons of time to work with it before it dries out and it super easy and cheap to make. Fondant is all about opinions though!!

Fairytale Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 11:45pm
post #9 of 18

The only fondant I use is Massa Grischuna. You can get it from Albert Uster imports. Nick Lodge uses it too. It tastes GREAT, and has a wonderful texture. Very easy to work with.

CakesByJenna Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:15am
post #10 of 18

Thanks everyone! So, does home-made regular fondant look better and not taste as good? I usually like to make things from scratch to control the ingredients (organic/all natural).
I am an artist and a perfectionist, so proffestional appearance is important to me. Can fondant taste good? The fondant I have tried, in my opinion, was not worth eating.

pinkorchid Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:12am
post #11 of 18

MMF tastes good IMO! That's what I've been using, plus it's easy to work with.
Good luck!

CakesByJenna Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 5:41pm
post #12 of 18

I made some MMF this morning! It tasts great!

My big question is: do other types of fondant look more professional than MMF???

catlharper Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 5:59pm
post #13 of 18

I make my own MMF and add whatever flavoring I want to it and it's wonderful. I have not used Satin Ice so I have no idea how it tastes but the Wilton premade is awful. Everyone who use to hate fondant in my family/friends circle now loves the MMF and will actually ask for more of just the fondant! There will always be people out there who don't like the texture of fondant of any variety but the taste of homemade MMF is yummy!

hollylikescake Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 6:14pm
post #14 of 18

I use to make MMF. However, I don't really like the taste of marshmallows in general. so I naturally didn't love it. And I got tired of messing with all the stickiness of making it too. I will sometimes still make it if I want to cover a cake board in fondant. Now I use satin ice, and some of the time I add a good bit of almond candy flavoring (depending on the cake flavor.) It is soooo good with the almond flavor in it.

tonedna Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 6:17pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairytale

The only fondant I use is Massa Grischuna. You can get it from Albert Uster imports. Nick Lodge uses it too. It tastes GREAT, and has a wonderful texture. Very easy to work with.

I use Satin Ice, cause is easier to get, but I agree, this is the best fondant ever!
Edna icon_smile.gif

robyndmy Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 6:33pm
post #16 of 18

I've only ever used homemade MMF, and I really like it. It's still overly sweet, so not all of it gets eaten but I find it tastes better than any other fondant I'd tasted on wedding cakes in the past.

It can be really time consuming to make though, especially if you need multiple colours. If I ever started making cakes on a consistent, weekly basis, I'd probably start hunting for Satin Ice that all these pros are recommending. icon_smile.gif

cake-angel Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 7:14pm
post #17 of 18

I prefer my homemade fondant (Toba Garrett's recipe.) I love the taste of it (I usually flavor with vanilla but occasionally try other extracts) and I love the mouth feel especially on a cake. It just seems like it blends into the buttercream. I have tried MMF but didn't like it. Found it annoying to work with and I didn't like the taste. Then again I detest marshmallows so that could be part of why I didn't like the taste or texture of it.

As far as premade fondants - I like Satin Ice a lot. I will be getting an opportunity to try the one from Albert Usters in a couple of months so I may be converted. LOL.

Jack031 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 11:32pm
post #18 of 18

I say pre-made fondant is the easiest way to go with fondant, and the only GOOD TASTING fondant out there is Fondarific. In my opinion, and many others, Satin Ice has a horrible taste and just causes trouble. Fondarific is just so easy to use and makes a much better appeal to people compared to other fondants.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%