Now What? Lol Decorating Rice Crispy Treats

Decorating By cdent Updated 6 Mar 2010 , 1:17am by cakesrock

cdent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdent Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 2

Hey guys! I need your help asap!! I am making a grocery shopping bag cake with various grocery items falling out of it. I have already sculpted the grocery items using rice crispy treat as my medium but now what?? What would be the best way to cover/color/paint them? I covered a "baking soda box" with white fondant (don't ask why I chose white because it should be orange) and it looks like a wrapped present, not so much a box of baking soda. How should I do the fruit (I made a banana, pear, etc). Ok, now I am rambling. Thanks so much for your help!!

1 reply
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 1:17am
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdent

Hey guys! I need your help asap!! I am making a grocery shopping bag cake with various grocery items falling out of it. I have already sculpted the grocery items using rice crispy treat as my medium but now what?? What would be the best way to cover/color/paint them? I covered a "baking soda box" with white fondant (don't ask why I chose white because it should be orange) and it looks like a wrapped present, not so much a box of baking soda. How should I do the fruit (I made a banana, pear, etc). Ok, now I am rambling. Thanks so much for your help!!

I would say that fondant over a thin layer of BC would be your best bet. Color your fondant (yellow for banana (mixture of 3:1 golden and lemon yellow and play with it until you get the right color and green for pear - some kelly green and leaf, maybe 4:1 ratio, should do the trick) then apply. Those ratios are good starting points, anyways.
Afterwards, you can use the vanilla or vodka/color paint mixture for details (e.g. brown on banana). I would color the bag brown before applying (use a mixture of ivory and a drop of brown) .Sounds like a fun cake - please post photos after! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%