Vanilla Filling Maybe Custard?????

Baking By luts88 Updated 7 Mar 2010 , 7:34am by ceshell

luts88 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 7

i need a recipe for a customer she requested vanilla filling that is like pudding...but it cannot contain gelatin...i was thinking maybe a vanilla custard but can that be left at room temp???? I am making a fondant cake and it would have to be out of the fridge probably for a day or so

6 replies
lilthorner Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 1:06am
post #2 of 7

custard shouldnt be left out at room temp.. You can put fondant in the fridge, in case that was the issue..

some people use instant pudding, made with whipping cream instead of milk and it makes like a mousse. if you can get bettercream or pastry pride, it makes it even better as those are non dairy

prterrell Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:24am
post #3 of 7

Vanilla custard recipe that does not use gelatin: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Vanilla-Custard-231672

allard Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 11:38am
post #4 of 7

Hi
I have tried custard and it will bulge out unless you use the thinnest smear and keep it in the fridge. fondant doesn't do well in the frig for too long, as you probably already know. it gets sticky

KarmaStew Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 12:09pm
post #5 of 7

Vanilla pastry cream is delicious and easy to make.

luts88 Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 2:56am
post #6 of 7

thanks for all of the suggestions...so im ruling out the custard.....with pastry cream can it be left out of the fridge??

ceshell Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 7:34am
post #7 of 7

Pastry cream is just like custard w/regard to refrigeration...isn't it? It's the stuff in cream puffs and eclairs...oh ok now my mouth is watering lol.

A custard filling won't bulge if you use a good buttercream or spackle dam.

If you plan to have the cake sit out for a day or so, you really need a non-dairy alternative like Pastry Pride or Bettercreme, if you can get your hands on those products. Add instant putting to it like lilthorner suggests.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%