Need Help About Carving A Cake

Decorating By tagtan5 Updated 8 Mar 2010 , 12:40pm by LateBloomer

tagtan5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tagtan5 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 5

icon_smile.gif Hi bakers.... I was asked to make a cake and carve letters into cupcake size ALANA and i have never carved. please all hints and tips would be appreciated. I was thinking to freeze a cake and use the letter stencils for like a poster board. or maybe use muffin pans. what do you think? also what is the best type of cake to carve? i don't care about the flavors.
THANK YOU icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:19am
post #2 of 5

semi frozen is easiest to carve.=) nad go with a more dense cake.. such as pound or mudcake if you can.. otherwise wasc apparently work well? good luck!

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:28am
post #3 of 5

I don't understand what you are trying to do. Are you intending to carve muffins into the letters, or carve the letters into the top of a cake? How are you going to cover that and with what? It's going to be pretty fiddly, whatever you are going to use

milly-mel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milly-mel Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 12:01pm
post #4 of 5

i have never tried any thing like this but could you make a thinnish cake then use cookie letter cutters?
you could then dip the letters into poured fondant or royal icing. i have seen a heart cookie cutter used on sponge before so hope this helps

LateBloomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LateBloomer Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 12:40pm
post #5 of 5

Definitely frozen. I would use cookie cutters. Cut the letters out of sugarpaste and put on top of the cupcakes to keep the crumbs together. Then I would carve around the letters. You can always remove the sugarpaste afterwards if you want to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%