Adding A Ribbon On A Stacked Cakes

Decorating By athenascakes Updated 8 Mar 2010 , 10:09pm by athenascakes

athenascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
athenascakes Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 8

Hello there!
How do you wrap a ribbon around the base of each tier of a stacked wedding cake? I am doing a 3 tiered cake, and I have never attempted placing a fabric ribbon around each cake. Also, what about the seam? The bride I am doing a cake for wants just a simple ribbon around each tier, no flowers to hide the seam. Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance. icon_smile.gif

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 8

Well, first I only use edible ribbon which is food safe. Seam goes in the back. You just wrap it around.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 8

if you are worried about the ribbon touching the cake OR looking greasy (if it's buttercream) then cut a long strip on wax paper "glued" with frosting or melted chocolate at that seam, then add ribbon on top of that......as for the ribbon seam i turn it under if possible &/or add 'buttons' (little fondant pearls or something) to the seam to cover them up.

i hope this makes sense.

aDBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aDBakes Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:34am
post #4 of 8

If you simply just want to wrap the ribbon around the cake, then start where you want the back to be, secure around with RI and join the seam together at the end, simple.

athenascakes Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks so much for all of the great ideas. icon_smile.gif

Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 8

I use a strip of double sided tape and stick the ribbon to itself at the back, then cut the end of the ribbon you can see neatly into a point or a V shape.

That way when they want to take it off to cut the cake it doesn't pull any icing off at all.

Good luck icon_smile.gif

Lyndsey xx

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 8

I wrap it around sometimes a paint a little water on the fondant to help it stick in spots if need be. A little royal icing holds the seam in the back together. Sharp sissors and a clean cut doesnt look bad. If its a square cake I seam on the corner and do a different corner on each tier. Alot less noticable that way. If you use a grossgrain ribbon you can hardly see the seam at all.

athenascakes Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 10:09pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everybody. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%