Need Help With Coral Work

Decorating By jenlee27 Updated 6 Mar 2010 , 3:24am by nwnest

jenlee27 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, I'm doing a beach wedding cake, and part of the deco is do i do that? :S..mold? royal icing? white chocolate paste? how do i captivate the closest thing to the real thing?

6 replies
iheartcupkakes Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 7

i just got done (last night) with a beach/ ocean theme.. i made two kinds of coral, fan and tube.. made them out of royal icing and hand painted them..
it was time consuming but after 3 layers of RI the coral looks awesome.. pics in my photos[/img]

sheena Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 7

If you are comfortable using royal icing you could google and print out a template and pipe it out. Or you ca use gumpaste and roll out thin uneven twig like pieces and stick a few together and prick them with a cocktail stick to give that small pore effect...

nwnest Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 7

I watched one of those extreme wedding cake shows on WE TV. Christorpher Garren's Cakes did an engagement cake with coral. They used white modeling chocolate over a pipe form. The cool thing was that they used a mixture of coarse sugar and white nonpareils (which Wilton sells at Michaels, so they are readily available) pressed into the surface which gave it a very realistic look.

anasasi Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 7

The best looking coral that I've seen has been made with Isomalt poured to quickly cool over ice. Don't know the exact temp you'd want the Isomalt at when pouring though, but the look is fabulous.

jenlee27 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 7

thank you so much guys! you are amazing! i've done the isomalt before with big coral pieces. i'll definitely try the options you've given me. Many thanks again! jen.

nwnest Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:24am
post #7 of 7

Did you happen to see CookieSue 's "undersea cake with fish, shells, and coral" ? At the time I'm writing this it is in the "Most Saved" bar on the CC home page. It has some very elegant modeling chocolate coral.

Quote by @%username% on %date%