I Single-Handedly Killed Sugarshack's Buttercream Recipe!

Decorating By AKS Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 6:51pm by Rhonda19

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 8:45am
post #31 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKS

Thanks Sharon, I will.

Arriva: do you use Sweetex?

Jessielou: Neither HobbyLobby, Michael's or GFS here carries it. I have to get it online and it is pricey, but the taste is so much better-it's almost light.

The GFS doesn't stock Sweetex, but they will special order it for you.

The GFS item # for Sweetex is: 1080220.
(For some reason my Gordon's couldn't find it without that number, which puzzlegut was kind enough to provide.)

And hi-ratio freezes beautifully...

HTH

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:57am
post #32 of 47

Thanks, Jan-ordered it with your number for it yesterday! YAY!! thumbs_up.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:44am
post #33 of 47

Use a towel over the mixer bowl to contain the mess....

Ren715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren715 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:09am
post #34 of 47

My KA (5 qt. Artisan) came with a plastic pouring shield. It works great preventing the powered sugar from spraying out. You can get it as an accessory.
LL

cmalin3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmalin3 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:07pm
post #35 of 47

I'll admit I hadn't tried this yet because I can't find Sweetex anywhere around here (and heard it's pricey), but I just finally ordered Sharon's BC DVD...been waiting a long time for this!

BTW - found a 50 lb. tub for $85 - is that a good deal?

Thanks to Sharon's and everyone else's posts, I now know the hazards of substitution on this one. Will do it right the first time - wish me luck!

cmalin3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmalin3 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:18pm
post #36 of 47

I'll admit I hadn't tried this yet because I can't find Sweetex anywhere around here (and heard it's pricey), but I just finally ordered Sharon's BC DVD...been waiting a long time for this!

BTW - found a 50 lb. tub for $85 - is that a good deal?

Thanks to Sharon's and everyone else's posts, I now know the hazards of substitution on this one. Will do it right the first time - wish me luck!

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:39pm
post #37 of 47

Strange, but the exact same thing happened to me the first time I tried this recipe. But, I knew right out of the gate my result prolly wouldn't be the same, because I decided to do it spur of the moment, and all I had on hand was Crisco. The icing was smooth as silk in the bowl, but the next day when I iced the cake, it was airy. As I said, though...I didn't expect the same result because I didnt follow the recipe exactly.

I wonder why it develops air bubbles after it sits, though? BTW, I did save the icing. I made a great fluffy filling!

All I've ever used is my Wilton recipe, modified slightly over the years with different flavors (I use Wedding Bouquet, too--divine!). I have no problems getting it very smooth, or getting a consistent result every time. BUT...what I love about Sharon's recipe is that it's so much lighter, fluffier, and has a milder not-too-sweet taste. Hmmmm...wonder if I can find a way to have the best of both worlds???

I've also been looking for the best deal on Sweetex. Between $70-85, but with shipping--OUCH!

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:25pm
post #38 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

Thank you Dakis, that is so sweet of you!

Gallies: if you keep your ration one cup of shortening to one pound of powdered sugar, as long as you do not add too much liquid it should crust. Uless you are using crisco, that can casue major problems with the no trans fats. Can you tell me the exaact recipe and method you used?

I have tried several of 6qt. recipes on here. Here's the latest one I used They had issues with non crusting and this workded for them so I decided it was worth a shot.

3 lbs. Sweetex
4 T clear vanilla flavor
1 T clear butter flavor
21 T hot creamer liquid( made from 1 C H2O & 1 powdered creamer)
6 1/2 pds. Domino 10X
1-2 tsp. popcorn salt

Creamed shortening, ,added flavoring, started w/ 15 T creamer, ended up adding 5 more T of creamer. Followed your suggested speeds and timing.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 11:24am
post #39 of 47

I love this recipe to, but i have to make in two batches or take out and put back in, even in my friends mixer it was close, butter what butter gezzz i got worried lol as careful as i am i still get powder sugar every where, sweet tex mine didn't say that. hmmm

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:46pm
post #40 of 47

I have the DVD (Actually 2 of the same thing, one I bought one was a gift, I should be twice as good!) anyway I had good results using it but I found that using an actual towel and having it damp over the mixer cut WAY down on the PS blizzard. Much better than a dry towel.

Shermie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shermie1 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:01pm
post #41 of 47

I just purchased Sharon's DVD. I have watched it 3 times already & I love it. My problem is similar in that I have made 2 batches ( 5 qt kitchenaide) and Both have not been right. The first one was tolerable I guess. I used an off brand shortnening that had 2.5 grams of trans fat. The second batch I made yesterday was a total flop. I ended up dumping a 2 layer 10" round in the trash. I knew as soon as I put the hot liquid in I was in trouble. I just deflated. I added more powdered sugar to get it thick but when I iced the cake it literally slid off very slowly. It crusted but it slid. By the time I trashed it I barely had 1/4" of icing on the sides of the cake. It was not creaamy & beautiful like Sharons. I have no idea what was wrong. It was sunny on Saturday when I made it but cloudy & overcast yesterday when I iced the cake. I made a mess Sharon with your wonderful recipe. icon_sad.gif I'm SORRY !!!!!!!! But I WILL NOT GIVE UP !!!! Your videos are wonderful

ninatat Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:23pm
post #42 of 47

Hi, i love your recipe, haven't had a problem with it, i went to your site, but it doesn't show anything, only the part about your start. thanks

ninatat Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 10:23pm
post #43 of 47

they have the plastic pouring on e-bay for 19 dollars

ninatat Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 10:25pm
post #44 of 47

i use sugar shack and it doesn't call for sweet tex

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 10:47pm
post #45 of 47

The recipe provided with the DVD Perfecting the Art of Buttercream does call for Sweetex shortening, or other brand of hi ration. She even lists the suppliers.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:50am
post #46 of 47

Shermie, what kind of shortening did you use?

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:51pm
post #47 of 47

I really wish I had read this thread before I purchased my Hi Ratio Shortening!! icon_sad.gif

I just bought 2 - 3lb containers of Kitchen Kraft Hi Ratio Shortening. I really hope it works out ok!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%