The Bride/dragon Do Over

Decorating By Taigen Updated 8 Mar 2010 , 7:33pm by Caths_Cakes

Taigen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taigen Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 16

Yesterday I posted pics of a topper I am making for my neices wedding. You were all very kind but agreed the bride needed "something"...so I decided to try and re-do her.

I was surprised that I was able to take her apart and re-work her. Using a hair dryer to warm/soften the areas, I removed her large nose, worked a little on the face and replaced it with a smaller one. I also was lucky enough to be able to remove the entire arm/shouldes/neck area without damaging the dress and head. I compleately re-made the arms making them much slimmer and worked on the shoulder/neck area. I even gave her painted nails this time.

Since this was my first attempt at figure modelling I really did learn a lot, I also learned a lot in working on the repairs. I am much happied with how it looks today, but I would still like your thoughts on it.
Thank you all for your very kind and supportive encouragment...you guys are great!

Here's the before's and after's.

P.S. sorry the pics are out of order but hopefully you can see the differences!! LOL
LL
LL
LL
LL

15 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 16

I think it looks awesome!! It's amazing how much a shorter neck and thinner arms changed her whole look huh?? I think with the longer neck and arms it almost gave her the appearance of being a dwarf (little person for those that find dwarf offensive)

She looks beautiful and I love the way you have her gently touching the dragon, so sweet!

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 16

She looks lovely. You did a really nice job. For future reference I can't recommend the book "Friends and Family in Polymer Clay" enough! It is the BEST book for modeling people IMHO. Very clear concise directions and body shape ratios, etc.

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 16

that's awesome!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 16

She looks AWESOME!! You did a wonderful job on the rework! icon_smile.gif

myKzooKid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myKzooKid Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 16

I'm so glad it worked out making adjustments rather than redoing her completely. She looks terrific. Well Done!!!

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:33pm
post #7 of 16

Well I think she looked great for a first attempt but your rework of her is brill, well dont you the nose, neck and arms def made a differnce, you must be very proud

LEHLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LEHLA Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 16

AWESOME JOB, Glad u didnt have to take the dress apart !!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:47pm
post #9 of 16

great job - love her nose job too!

anoldhippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anoldhippy Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 8:54pm
post #10 of 16

I LOVE THE DRAGON TOO. Great great job. Be very proud of your self.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 11:16pm
post #11 of 16

WOW she looks so much better after her facelift (but she was excellent the first time around). You did a great job icon_biggrin.gif

rainyone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainyone Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 11:33pm
post #12 of 16

looks awesome! I had to do a bride and groom with a dragon and omg your's is sooooo good.I was ready to kill someone after lol

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 6:46pm
post #13 of 16

Great Job!

Taigen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taigen Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 9:30pm
post #14 of 16

(((thanks all))) it really is surprising the difference it makes with the neck/arms and nose. I emailed the photos to the brides mom and she loves them....PHEW!! Now just wait for the new date to bake the cake!
Thanks again everyone...very much appreciated icon_smile.gif

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:21pm
post #15 of 16

she is stunning,
it might be the pic but she looks a little "blind" if you havent I would suggest doing a small black pupil

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:33pm
post #16 of 16

those small few differences really have made a massive change to your bride, she looked great first time, but now she looks amazing! well done

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%