Looking For A Chocolate Cake Recipe

Baking By redrosenj99 Updated 8 Mar 2010 , 6:47pm by Skirt

redrosenj99 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 19

Hello again!

I am looking for a Chocolate Cake recipe to use under fondant.. I have a white cake recipe from here , which I use all the time...but now I need a good chocolate one.. Thanks

18 replies
AngelaM Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 19

The chocolate cake recipe on the side of the hershey's cocoa box is awesome.

minicuppie Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 19

Ditto...watch it carefully in the oven, tho. Goes from moist and delicious to dry in the blink of an eye. Don't wait for it to "spring" use a toothpick and remove when there are still moist crumbs ...

mamawrobin Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 19

I use the Chocolate WASC receipe from this site. It uses coffee in place of water and that really makes the chocolate flavor more intense. It doesn't make it taste like coffee in case you were wondering icon_smile.gif . The origional receipe calls for water and instant coffee. I just make a pot of really strong coffee and let it cool because I never have instant on hand. It makes a really dense cake and it holds up very well under fondant.

RachieRach Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 19

I always use the Hershey cocoa recipe. It is so rich and great with every topping.

crazyladybaker Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 4:32pm
post #6 of 19

Depends on the texture I am looking for and what the end product will be for me. My favorite tasting cake is this one from Ina
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/beattys-chocolate-cake-recipe/index.html
oh and I also adore Dorie Greenspans chocolate butter cake!

I have used the choc WASC but just wasn't sold on it. I will try it again though just to make sure.

I made the Hershey's cake last week and it was good too. Seemed like it had a better texture for carving and that type thing.

I hope you find "the one"!
icon_biggrin.gif

lilthorner Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 4:35pm
post #7 of 19

crazylady baker.. the ina garten cake is similar or the same to the hersheys "black magic" cake

i may have to take a look see at dorie greenspans cake..

crazyladybaker Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilthorner

crazylady baker.. the ina garten cake is similar or the same to the hersheys "black magic" cake

i may have to take a look see at dorie greenspans cake..

You are so right. Maybe that's why I liked it too...lol I love coffee in my choc cake recipes.

I don't remember the exact name of Dorie's choc cake but I will try to dig out my recipe and see if I wrote the exact name down and what book it came from.

Rose Levy B has some great choc cakes as well but not everyone is a fan. I love her cakes thumbs_up.gif

crazyladybaker Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 4:43pm
post #9 of 19

thought this might be a good addition to this post too...

when making your cakes what kind of cocoa powder do you use?

I don't always have dutched on hand and lately have been using the dark choc power from Hersheys. Its pretty good.

crazyladybaker Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 4:56pm
post #10 of 19

This one is yummy from Dorie cookbook. Try the Devils Food White Out cake. I only used the choc cake recipe on the devils food cakee. I had other ideas for filling and frosting than what it had in the book.

lilthorner Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:33pm
post #11 of 19

i have used the american chocolate butter cake from the cake bible when i need sculpted cake.. Im not a chocolate cake fan, so when I have it, I want it to be rich and chocolaty..

I use regular hersheys that I buy in the 5 pound bag. I do usually keep 1-2 pounds of dutch on hand because i use it for RV cake

so the devils food white out cake huh? ima have to look at that..

dhccster Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 5:54pm
post #12 of 19

I have just recently started making the Hershey's chocolate cake. I used to make the darn good chocolate from the cake dr. cookbook. Well, I am now hooked on the Hershey cake. I have a question though. I have only made round cakes (2-- 8" cakes) and the recipe is perfect for that size cake. What about a 9X13 pan. Will the cake go to the top? Or do I need to double the recipe? TIA.

AngelaM Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 6:43pm
post #13 of 19

I've never made this recipe in a 1/4 sheet pan, but a 9x13 pan generally takes the same amount of batter as two 8" rounds.

Skirt Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 6:53pm
post #14 of 19

I'm a big fan of the Hershey's cake as well. Though, I've often subbed coffee for the hot water. Better flavour in my opinion...

redrosenj99 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 12:38pm
post #15 of 19

Thanks for all your help!!

Tiffany29 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:01pm
post #16 of 19

I use the hershey recipe also and I really like it. It's really good with ganache.
dhccster~ one batch will fit ina 9x13. I would not double it.
I once made 3 batches for a 12x18 because it holds 3 boxed mixes, so I thought I needed 3 batches. Omg! it was a disaster, I almost had a fire in my oven. Cake batter was everywhere!
So if you ever make it in a 12x18, just double it.

dhccster Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:48pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany29

I use the hershey recipe also and I really like it. It's really good with ganache.
I once made 3 batches for a 12x18 because it holds 3 boxed mixes, so I thought I needed 3 batches. Omg! it was a disaster, I almost had a fire in my oven. Cake batter was everywhere!

THANK YOU!!! I thought I would ask before I had a disaster!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Tiffany29 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:31pm
post #18 of 19

You're welcome icon_smile.gif

Skirt Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:47pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany29

Due to the occasional "volcano" in my oven, I bought a silicone liner to put in the bottom of my oven. Worth evvvvvvverrrrrrry penny.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%