Baked Cakes - How Early ?

Decorating By t4beatles Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 1:15am by anasasi

t4beatles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t4beatles Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 12

Good morning ladies,

How soon before the delivery day do you make your cakes?

I was wondering if I could bake the cake, wrap them up and store them (unfilled).

But not sure how many days ahead? Do any of you do this?

I work 6 days a week so the cakes are done evenings and Sundays. Was hoping to have all ready to go so I could have more time on the decorating!

Please share you tips & suggestions!
Thank you so much!! Trish

11 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 12

most of the time I bake on Wed., cool and wrap, bake also on Thursday, cool and wrap, decorate Frid. Deliver Sat. so anywhere from 2-3 days before delivery the cakes are baked! I've never had a complaint about a dry cake. If you're wanting to bake further in advance than that I would freeze them!

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 12

I have stored unfilled cake frozen for several weeks and they are wonderful...if they are frozen while still hot and covered with plastic wrap to keep the steam in.

FierceConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FierceConfections Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 12

Ironically, I just performed an experiment last night. I've had this big block of chocolate cake scrap in my freezer since November. Honestly, I just forgot about it. I've never left cake in the freezer that long.

I let it thaw out, just to see what it tasted like. It was fine! I was actually kind of shocked.

For orders, however, I usually bake three days in advance.

t4beatles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t4beatles Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 12

WONDERFUL!! Thank you so much!! icon_biggrin.gif

I may try the freezing thing too - this would be a great idea for me!!
(spend a day just doing all the baking!)

Thank you! Thank you!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 12

I make such a mess when I bake and decorate that I need to separate them......I'm also one of those people that can't begin a project unless everything is spotless......so I bake one day (sometimes 2 days depending on number of orders) then clean everything up, then decorate on a different day (so everything is clean again), then make another HUGE mESS decorating lol.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 12

I bake in a rented kitchen two days a week. I cool, level and wrap my cakes then freeze until I need them. I wrap them twice in plastic wrap then put them in a gallon zip lock freezer bag. The larger layers, 9 or larger, I double wrap in plastic wrap then wrap in foil.

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 4:18pm
post #8 of 12

I always freeze mine, as I too have a full time job. I have frozen cakes for 6 months or more, and if they are wrapped properly still taste great. The biggest thing is to make sure your cakes cool COMPLETELY before freezing- I have seen that others freeze while warm, and that is a big NO NO. Bacteria - or "bad buggies" as Doug once called it, and you can also change the temp of your freezer by putting hot cakes in, also affecting your other frozen items. I cool, double wrap in Saran Wrap, then aluminum foil, then into a plastic grocery or garbage (unscented) bag, if a large cake. Lay on a flat surface in the freezer, then when I thaw, I take the garbage or plastic outer bag off, but leave the other wrappings on, so the condensation collects on the outside and not the cake. HTH

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 4:44pm
post #9 of 12

Just curious, exactly what type of "bad buggies" thrive in the freezer? Very often I've frozen my cakes just as they come out of the oven to preserve the moistness of the cake, add firmness for carving, and easy to frosting (eliminates crumbs). Of course I seal them off with frosting and modeling chocolate or fondant as soon as they've defrosted. I've done so for 3 years and, although I've never encountered these "bad buggies", now you've got me worried. Definitely want to avoid them though if I'm missing something....is this something that occurs after you've thawed out and frosted/covered the cakes? How does the bacteria thrive in all that sugar?

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 4:59pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I make such a mess when I bake and decorate that I need to separate them......I'm also one of those people that can't begin a project unless everything is spotless......so I bake one day (sometimes 2 days depending on number of orders) then clean everything up, then decorate on a different day (so everything is clean again), then make another HUGE mESS decorating lol.

This made me laugh! I am exactly like this. I can't concentrate if there are dirty bowls in the sink or parts of my KA are covered in batter icon_biggrin.gif

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:47pm
post #11 of 12

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/FactSheets/Focus_On_Freezing/index.asp#3

Does Freezing Destroy Bacteria & Parasites?
Freezing to 0 °F inactivates any microbes -- bacteria, yeasts and molds - - present in food. Once thawed, however, these microbes can again become active, multiplying under the right conditions to levels that can lead to foodborne illness. Since they will then grow at about the same rate as microorganisms on fresh food, you must handle thawed items as you would any perishable food.

If food prep is done correctly, i.e. tools and surfaces are sanitized, proper hygiene practices observed, food ingredients fresh and properly prepared, then the risk of foodborne illness is cut to a minimum. This is true with any prepared food and all foods will spoil in time if not properly stored. So....that said, good cleanliness practices a given along with proper storing of the baked good, there should be no worry.

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:15am
post #12 of 12

Phewww....thanks PennySue. That made me feel much better icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%