Question On Pricing?

Decorating By lv2bake Updated 6 Mar 2010 , 12:54am by lv2bake

lv2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lv2bake Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 12:44pm
post #1 of 3

I was asked to make four cross cakes for Easter, I have made them before but never to sell I made one with fruit...strawberries, blueberries, and kiwi and mint leaves and made a stain glass cake, wondering what you would charge for something like these? And how do you determine serving size she needs them to serve 525 people. thank you for all of your help. I am just trying to get a ball park figure for now.

2 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 3

Wow! That's a lot of cake! Awesome! (I love doing big cakes!)

On the servings question, let's back into it......

A 2-layer 12x18 serves 108 (let's use round numbers of 100), when cut in the standard 1x2x4" pieces. You would need 5+ of these (so you'd have to bake 10 of the 12x18's).

If you're going to carve a cross out of these cakes, you're obviously going to lose servings, so you'd have to bake extra cake to compensate. OR ..... could you make a small cross cake (the wlton cross pan?) and place on top of these 2-layer cakes?

Price is usually based on the "per serving". For a 2-layer cake, my pricing was $3.50/serving so for 525 servings, we're looking at over $1800.

Before you get into pricing, have they given ANY indication of what kind of budget they have? It would not be unusual for someone to want 525 servings and think they can get it for something like $250. icon_eek.gif

lv2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lv2bake Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 12:54am
post #3 of 3

Thanks Indydeb, I never thought of placing a small cross on a larger cake..hmmm that will help me out a lot with the serving sizes, I could not believe she wanted cakes to feed 525 people. I feel so over whelmed, I contacted her to find out what her budget would be and she has not contacted me yet, I am pretty certain she wants these cakes in the price range of $200.00 she sounded a little uneasy..lol I was figuring on about 3.00 to 3.50 a slice I emailed her the ball park figure so we'll see. Thank you so much for the help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%