How Do I Get/make White For Painting?

Decorating By Krysten3 Updated 5 Mar 2010 , 6:35pm by jobueno

Krysten3 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 5:48am
post #1 of 9

I know that you can use vodka mixed with gel colors to paint on fondant, etc but I'm trying to figure out how to get white. Feeling like this is possibly a dumb question and the answer is as clear as day.... But I tried to just use icing whitener to paint on a test piece of red fondant and the whitener turned pink over a few hours. I used it straight out of the bottle, think if I mix it with vodka or something else it would work? Or I was thinking maybe watered down buttercream? I don't know icon_confused.gif

8 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:15am
post #2 of 9

The icing whitener never really dries, either. It stays sticky if it's of any thickness.

You can try mixing up powdered white color with vodka. I'm guessing it will take at least 2 coats to get good coverage on darker fondant.

When I need white, I usually use royal icing. You can thin it with water or corn syrup and "paint" or write with it.

HTH
Rae

Krysten3 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:55am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

The icing whitener never really dries, either. It stays sticky if it's of any thickness.

You can try mixing up powdered white color with vodka. I'm guessing it will take at least 2 coats to get good coverage on darker fondant.

When I need white, I usually use royal icing. You can thin it with water or corn syrup and "paint" or write with it.

HTH
Rae

Thanks! Maybe I'll just try and do the royal then. I'm making little tiny board game boxes and a few have a dark background with white lettering and it's just way too small to cut out in fondant/gumpaste so I'm thinking painting it on will be my best option.

malakainrop Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 9:49am
post #4 of 9

AMERICOLOR WHITE!!

Jack031 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 9

Use the technique of vodka with gel colors but use americolor bright white, thats all

Krysten3 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 9

lol well shame on me for not checking americolor.... I've never used them before, just the wilton gel ones and assumed. You know what they say about assumptions.... thanks everyone icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 9

I use Americolor Airbrush colors for painting. They are already thinned down. icon_smile.gif

Krysten3 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I use Americolor Airbrush colors for painting. They are already thinned down. icon_smile.gif

Thanks icon_smile.gif I'll look for that at my local cake supply store

jobueno Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:35pm
post #9 of 9

You can also you use the Wilton White or airbrush color (white) mixed with Vodka to help it dry faster. That's what I use anytime i need to paint white.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%