Cake Wire

Decorating By sarascakecreations Updated 5 Mar 2010 , 5:17am by Rose_N_Crantz

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 5:07am
post #1 of 2

hello everyone,

sooo I was wondering... you know when you see a cake with glass beads or crystals hanging out from it... or like when you see bats or stars hanging out from a cake (hope I'm making sense)

well where do I get that wire? Is it a special cake wire? Or something I can get at a hardware store? Does it have to be a certain thickness? How do i stick it in the cake just poke it in there or do I have to like wrap it in tape?

Sara

1 reply
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 5:17am
post #2 of 2

It's not safe to stick wire directly into cake. And it's not safe to wrap it in tape either. Most people use straws or coffee stirrers. I would dip the end of the straw/stirrer into some melted chocolate first, to plug up the end. Stick that into the cake until you can't see it well (but still be able to remove!) and then put the wire into there.

Most use floral wire that's available at your local craft store. If you want a wire that will not move or bend at all, I would go with 20 gauge. Just feel the wire in the store and you should be able to judge what thickness you'll need.

Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%