Do I Need A Dam In Between The Layers?

Decorating By Spectra Updated 6 Mar 2010 , 3:07pm by Spectra

Spectra Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 1:39am
post #1 of 10

Hey everyone, I'm making my husband a very very simple cake for his birthday. He wants his favorite, which is white cake, I made the WASC earlier today, but the icing is this: Dream Whip mixed with chocolate pudding. So I'm wondering if I should make up some BC icing to create a dam in between the layers then fill with this whip/pudding so it doesn't come gushing out? I've never done anything other than BC so I'm not sure.

9 replies
me_mysister Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 1:44am
post #2 of 10

I would do the dam just to be on the safe side.

pinkorchid Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:27am
post #3 of 10

I would also do one just to be safe.

Small world...I'm in Saint John NB icon_smile.gif

Spectra Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:31am
post #4 of 10

Oh so neat Pinkorchid! We go to Saint John all the time! icon_smile.gif

Thanks everyone! Dam it is!

anoldhippy Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:02am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectra

Hey everyone, I'm making my husband a very very simple cake for his birthday. He wants his favorite, which is white cake, I made the WASC earlier today, but the icing is this: Dream Whip mixed with chocolate pudding. So I'm wondering if I should make up some BC icing to create a dam in between the layers then fill with this whip/pudding so it doesn't come gushing out? I've never done anything other than BC so I'm not sure.

My son in law just asked me to make his cake with choc whipped cream. Do you just mix the pudding in the dream whip or do I need to do soemthing special? Thanks for oetting me hijack this thread a little

Spectra Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 1:12pm
post #6 of 10

Well I got the recipe yesterday from my mother-in-law and this is how it goes:

2 envelopes of Dream Whip (so it is in powder form)
1 package of chocolate pudding mix (4oz or 113g so that's powder too.)
1 1/2 Cups of milk (2% or 1%)

Mix to Dream Whip package instructions.

I've never tried it before, so we shall see! Sounds good! Hehe.

minicuppie Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:49pm
post #7 of 10

The whole purpose of a dam is to hold your filling in so it doesn't show thru to the outside. If your filling and icing are the same, and you REALLY want to do a dam, just thicken some of the filling/icing and use that. Otherwise you may have some of the white BC dam squeezing thru your chocolate icing.

Spectra Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:12pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks Mini! The cake is going to be completely covered with this, so I'm guessing no dam then.

Loucinda Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 10

An easy way to do the same filling is a box of pudding and a containrer of cool whip. icon_smile.gif

Spectra Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:07pm
post #10 of 10

That's what I was thinking Loucinda! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%