Domed Cupcakes...what Am I Doing Wrong?

Baking By pastryqueen9 Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 3:38am by kileyscakes

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 12:12am
post #1 of 13

I don't think the doming trick is working for me! Please take a look at the picture and tell me what you think? I was expecting more of a dome. Can anyone please tell me where I'm going wrong.

This is what I did:

I preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Then I put the cupcakes in and let them bake for the first 5-7 minutes @ 375. After the 7 minutes I turn the oven down to 325 degrees and let them bake for the remainder of the time @ that temp. What am I doing wrong? And does the doming technique work on all recipes?

12 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 13

use less water in your batter making it thicker like a muffin batter

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 13

How much batter are you putting in your cupcases?

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 13

icon_lol.gif I have to laugh because I read the title as DOOMED cupcakes! But now that I've read this, what is the doming technique? My cupcakes don't really end up with much of a dome and if they do the edges are kind of crispy and I don't like the texture.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 13

So do you want the cupcakes to have a dome???

My cupcakes do have a small dome, but I have a convection commercial oven, and it depends on the amount of batter, a little more than half full will give me a bigger dome. BTW I use an ice cream scoop size 20 or 3 Tbsp, made by OXXO, I think.

pastryqueen9 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:26pm
post #6 of 13

I fill my cupcake liners a little more than half full. I'm not sure if they are doming as much as they should or if my expectation is to high. I tried to post a picture but it didn't work. Does anyone have pics of their domed cuppies to share for comparison?

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 10:21pm
post #7 of 13

Sorry I don't.

tm-treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tm-treats Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 7:09pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

How much batter are you putting in your cupcases?

I used to do the ice cream scoop method the make sure all cupcakes will look the same. But here's what I discovered when I did a day's trial at a cupcake store here in UK...use a scale! I think this is the main difference between US and UK measuring and baking. They measure everything here making all recipes consistent.

65-75 g of batter is just about the right weight for a good sized cupcake

To do this:
(1) place your muffin / cupcake pan in a weighing scale (digital scales are better).
2. place cupcake cakes as you would normally do.
3. Set your scale to ZERO
4. Decide how much batter you want to place (as suggested 65-70 grams of better per cupcake case) and scoop batter into the case. If you go off by -1 or +1 gram extra is fine
5. Set the scale back to ZERO and repeat process 4 until you have filled all the cases

Now you have even servings of cupcake batters! This method is a bit tedious compared to the ice cream scoop method but this will guarantee you that all your cupcakes will look the same!

HTH!

pastryqueen9 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:17am
post #9 of 13

Wow tm-treats! That sounds like a great method! You're right...when I was in culinary arts school we did weigh everything to assure uniformity. It makes so much sense! Thanks!

tm-treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tm-treats Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:06am
post #10 of 13

You're welcome pastryqueen9! You might need to vary grams per type of batter (eg. thick or almost liquid). It might also change if you have nuts of fruits in the batter.

I suggest you do a test batch (with varrying contents per cupcake case). This is well worth it if you have a big order. You won't have do a test bake before you actual baking day, you can just bake 3-4 cupcakes (instead of the usual 6 or 12 per pan). You can then see which one of the lot looks better and use this measurement as your base.

You can do this method in cookies as well - not with cut out cookies though.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:39am
post #11 of 13

I use an ice-cream scoop and my cupcakes are very uniform and dome nicely. I use a 1/4c size for regular cupcake liners (50mm bases x 38mm height). If I am making a cupcake cake and don't want them domed, I just use the bottom of a pint glass to squish them down the minute I take them out of the oven. I bake all my cupcakes at 375F (180C) for 22 minutes, they are always moist and stay so for a few days in an airtight container.

pastryqueen9 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:44pm
post #12 of 13

That's good info...Thanks MikeRowesHunny!

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:38am
post #13 of 13

also check your baking powder and make sure it is not expired or close to being expired, I just made some cupcakes today and I had just opened a new can of baking powder and it made such a difference, now I think that I will replace my baking powder more often since it is inexpensive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%