When Is High Too High??

Decorating By Cakeonista Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 8:50pm by Kitagrl

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,
I'm making a 9x13 cake and my girlfriend wants chocolate and vanilla so I 2 of each and filled with buttercream, the cake came to be 4 1/2 inches high but I'm looking at it and it looks very high compared to the rectangular shape. I have some decorations to place on top so the top will be covered mostly but do you experts think this is too high of a cake?? Thanks so much, just want this cake to be extra special and am worried thats after its completed may look funny. Thanks

5 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 6

I personally don't like a high "sheet" style cake too much but if you have stuff to put on the sides it will look fine! Pipe nice big fluffy borders especially around the base....maybe comb the sides so they have a pattern too.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 6

Tell us more about the design you plan. Someone may have suggestions on what to add to the sides to make it look good. Are you doing a full 9X13 for the vanilla and full for the chocolate? That's a lot of cake.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 6

I have done rectangle cakes that high - I don't call them sheet cakes because that refers to a short rectangle cake icon_smile.gif - I think they look as good high as any other shape as long as you decorate it nicely just like you would any other shape.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 6

The cake itself will be covered in a giraffe print, because she loves giraffes and she loves to paint so I decided to make a fondant palette with different colors bc on it, some paintbrushes and some little tubes of different colored paint. She also loves sunflowers so I have decided to scatter a few here and there, not too many or it will be overkill I think. I did 2 layers of each flavor and yes it is a lot of cake. Maybe I should remove the top layer?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 6

Can you torte the layers and just use thinner layers of vanilla and chocolate?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%