Using Fondant For First Time

Baking By EvArt Updated 5 Mar 2010 , 11:49pm by EvArt

EvArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvArt Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 13

Hello. My name is Eva. I'm trying to work with homemade MMF for the first time.I got my first batch mixed up and wrapped in cellophane. My first batch seems to be a little stiff tho. I had to add almost a full 2T more of water just to get the rest of the sugar incorporated. Any tips would be extremely helpful and appreciated.

12 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 13

i like to not put in all the sugar if it doesn't need it. E.g., if the recipe requires 4 cups of powdered sugar, put only 3 cups upfront. Slowly add more powdered sugar until the fondant is how you like it. No need to follow the recipe to a T because it's easily dependent on ingredient quality and weather.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 13

I am not sure what recipe you are using. But definitley do not use all the PS at first, you can always add more. I like to add shortening or corn syrup if it is too stiff.

Try Mac's Mom's recipe
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7351/marshmallow-fondant-macsmoms-bc-flavored-variation

I have found that to be really easy to work with. Don't give up though, it just takes some trial and error.

Stephanie

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 13

When I make MMF I don't add all the powdered sugar. It makes it easier for me to work with. You'll just have to figure out what works best for you. Good luck! I love working with fondant, it's like playing with play-doh.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 13

oh and welcome to CC, Eva! glad to have you!

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 13

I usually make mine a little softer than I would have it to roll out too as it stiffens up in the fridge, I test it the next day. It also gets stiffer over time and I guess it's the cold too, so if I make it a little soft, it's just right by the time I use it.

AllyR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllyR Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 12:53am
post #7 of 13

Like the others, I don't use all of the pwd sugar that my recipe calls for. If it's too stiff, I either add more water (slowly!) or shortening. I also kneed it a lot! Until the ball is smooth and pliable.

Good luck! I LOVE working with MMF.
Ally

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 7:39am
post #8 of 13

Definitely follow the other suggestions of adding the last batch of PS slowly. If the MMF has sat overnight or longer, I usually end up microwaving it for 5 seconds at a time (maybe up to 15 seconds in total) until it's a tad more pliable, then kneading a small amount of shortening into it.

Jack031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jack031 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:54pm
post #9 of 13

I would say buy fondant already made from a store its less of a hassle. Also, I would say buy Fondarific because that is the best fondant out there in taste and in quality compared to any of the other fondants.

EvArt Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 7:59pm
post #10 of 13

Thank you all for the tips.
Fortunately I didn't add all the PS to the second batch, so we'll see the difference.
I actually sat down with my fondant last night and rolled it out and made some nice big leaves for my cake. I wanted somecurves in them and asked my hubby for some ideas of what I could use to drap the leaves over to get some curves. He came back with a couple of hammers and a broom stick handle!! Had him wrap them in cellophane and they worked out fine. lol

Thanks everyone

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 8:11pm
post #11 of 13

Glad to hear it worked out well EvArt, thats the joys of fondant, experimenting with it is the best bit! im always using things i can find around the house to help me shape, cut, mold my fondant! Welcome to CC!

EvArt Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 9:04pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks Caths,
Another Q if I may?
I made my leaves and they are drying into my shapes. But they are stillpretty powdery from the PS I used to roll them out in. How do I finish them off so that they are prettier on the cake?

Also, I'm trying to make a few Korker ribbons from the fondant and for the life of me I can't get them to form without the edges cracking.
I worked in some corn syrup to make my fondant more pliable, but it still doesn't work. Am I trying an advanced move for my first fondant?? lol

EvArt Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 11:49pm
post #13 of 13

Made a trip to the Cake supply shop and got my answer for the korker strips. I guess MMF isn't for molding but rsther for draping and covering. So I guess I will have to try some regular fondant next time. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%