Using Fondant For First Time

Baking By EvArt Updated 5 Mar 2010 , 11:49pm by EvArt

EvArt Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 13

Hello. My name is Eva. I'm trying to work with homemade MMF for the first time.I got my first batch mixed up and wrapped in cellophane. My first batch seems to be a little stiff tho. I had to add almost a full 2T more of water just to get the rest of the sugar incorporated. Any tips would be extremely helpful and appreciated.

12 replies
metria Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 13

i like to not put in all the sugar if it doesn't need it. E.g., if the recipe requires 4 cups of powdered sugar, put only 3 cups upfront. Slowly add more powdered sugar until the fondant is how you like it. No need to follow the recipe to a T because it's easily dependent on ingredient quality and weather.

smbegg Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 13

I am not sure what recipe you are using. But definitley do not use all the PS at first, you can always add more. I like to add shortening or corn syrup if it is too stiff.

Try Mac's Mom's recipe
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7351/marshmallow-fondant-macsmoms-bc-flavored-variation

I have found that to be really easy to work with. Don't give up though, it just takes some trial and error.

Stephanie

Kims_cakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 13

When I make MMF I don't add all the powdered sugar. It makes it easier for me to work with. You'll just have to figure out what works best for you. Good luck! I love working with fondant, it's like playing with play-doh.

metria Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 13

oh and welcome to CC, Eva! glad to have you!

kiwigal81 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 13

I usually make mine a little softer than I would have it to roll out too as it stiffens up in the fridge, I test it the next day. It also gets stiffer over time and I guess it's the cold too, so if I make it a little soft, it's just right by the time I use it.

AllyR Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 12:53am
post #7 of 13

Like the others, I don't use all of the pwd sugar that my recipe calls for. If it's too stiff, I either add more water (slowly!) or shortening. I also kneed it a lot! Until the ball is smooth and pliable.

Good luck! I LOVE working with MMF.
Ally

robyndmy Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 7:39am
post #8 of 13

Definitely follow the other suggestions of adding the last batch of PS slowly. If the MMF has sat overnight or longer, I usually end up microwaving it for 5 seconds at a time (maybe up to 15 seconds in total) until it's a tad more pliable, then kneading a small amount of shortening into it.

Jack031 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:54pm
post #9 of 13

I would say buy fondant already made from a store its less of a hassle. Also, I would say buy Fondarific because that is the best fondant out there in taste and in quality compared to any of the other fondants.

EvArt Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 7:59pm
post #10 of 13

Thank you all for the tips.
Fortunately I didn't add all the PS to the second batch, so we'll see the difference.
I actually sat down with my fondant last night and rolled it out and made some nice big leaves for my cake. I wanted somecurves in them and asked my hubby for some ideas of what I could use to drap the leaves over to get some curves. He came back with a couple of hammers and a broom stick handle!! Had him wrap them in cellophane and they worked out fine. lol

Thanks everyone

Caths_Cakes Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 8:11pm
post #11 of 13

Glad to hear it worked out well EvArt, thats the joys of fondant, experimenting with it is the best bit! im always using things i can find around the house to help me shape, cut, mold my fondant! Welcome to CC!

EvArt Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 9:04pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks Caths,
Another Q if I may?
I made my leaves and they are drying into my shapes. But they are stillpretty powdery from the PS I used to roll them out in. How do I finish them off so that they are prettier on the cake?

Also, I'm trying to make a few Korker ribbons from the fondant and for the life of me I can't get them to form without the edges cracking.
I worked in some corn syrup to make my fondant more pliable, but it still doesn't work. Am I trying an advanced move for my first fondant?? lol

EvArt Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 11:49pm
post #13 of 13

Made a trip to the Cake supply shop and got my answer for the korker strips. I guess MMF isn't for molding but rsther for draping and covering. So I guess I will have to try some regular fondant next time. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%