Mixing My Cake Batter ??? ...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 5 Mar 2010 , 11:12am by Mikel79

Mikel79 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 13

This is probably stupid, but let me ask it anyway. I use the WASC recipe from this site. Should I mix each ingredient at the lowest speed until mixed thoroughly and when ALL ingredients are mixed go ahead and do the 2 minute medium speed????

Or, should I dump in all the ingredients and mix together?? That is ALOT of batter, and this is why I was mixing each one at a time. However, I have been getting HUG humps in my cakes, thinking this may be why??

What do you think??

I bake at 325, use a therm. to check temp. Use flower nails as heating cores and use bake even strips.....still having the humps.....

12 replies
2SchnauzerLady Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 13

I dump all the wet ingredients together and mix, mix the dry stuff separately, then add the dry to the wet, mixing slowly until all the dry is moistened and then do my 2 minutes. HTH.

ThreeDGirlie Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 13

What temp do you bake at? And have you checked your oven with a thermometer t make SURE that whay you set it for is what you're getting? I think that's probably the cause of your cake humps.

As for mixing. dump it all in and then mix it. I find that with my mixer it helps to sift my dry ingredients into a large bowl and put the wet ingredients in the mixing bowl FIRST. Then dump the dry ingredients on top and mix. Otherwise, I end up with a little dry mix at the bottom that isn't incorporated...

Mikel79 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 13

I am baking my cakes at 325 degrees. I have a oven therm. that STAYS inside the oven to make sure it is staying at 325.

I am baking a sheet cake that is about 11 x15. It takes me about 1 hour.......

monet1895 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 13

Ditto to the above.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 13

The other thing you could try is to use the bake even strips - they help make the top a little more even. And with larger cakes, I use the flower nail in the center. My domes are much smaller since I started using these methods.

Mikel79 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 13

I also use the flower nails. The even strips, will not wrap around my sheet cake pan tightly, very loose??? Because of the rectangle shape, I think?? This is why I am thinking it might be my mixing????

Mikel79 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 13

Thank you folks!

I am going to try and mix the batter as descriped above....

Ren715 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 4:03am
post #9 of 13

I started using the bake even strips and my cakes look beautiful. I recently read about the flower nail method and tried it in my last cake without the bake even strips. It was a disaster. My cake tops had bumps all over them. Don't know why it happened but I'm afraid to use the nails again.

monet1895 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 4:10am
post #10 of 13

For those using bake even strips, what kind are you using?

Jeep_girl816 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 5:06am
post #11 of 13

I mix all my dry stuff first, sift everything, well I put a large metal mesh strainer over a bowl dump all my dry into it and stir either with a wooden spoon or a whisk, basically pushing everything through the mesh to sift it, then I add my eggs, then the rest of my wet ingredients then mix it all together. The only issue I ever have with that order is sometimes the eggs get caught up in the beaters and wrap around and take a bit to come loose, but my cakes usually turn out ok, as long as I keep the oven door shut until they're almost done.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 5:21am
post #12 of 13

I've done both methods. Add by ingredient, and also just dump it all into one bowl and mix it by hand. I've had the same results each time. I get humps too.

But I don't use bake even strips. I just use flower nails. I don't like having very many single use utensils in my kitchen. (Guess which food network star I never miss???)

Mikel79 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 11:12am
post #13 of 13

Thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%