How Much Do You Think This Is Worth

Decorating By hanacakes Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 9:21pm by catlharper

hanacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hanacakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 10

hope someone can answer this for me...my brother has a wedding coming up next month. so i know its last minute but he wanted this cake and wanted to know how much its worth. Unfortunately I can't make it for him since we live in different states but he really wanted my advice so he didn't get ripped off. Also if anyone in NY would be interested in making it let me know...The wedding is april 3rd in manhattan...ok enough talk heres the pic..
LL

9 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 10

I would tell him to call around and see how much the bakeries there charge for a fondant covered cake (that will give him an idea of the AVERAGE price of a fondant covered cake - not exactly THAT cake per se) The other thing is, his wedding is less than a month away and they do not have someone lined up to make their cake? I personally require my clients to pay their balance in full 30 days out. They may be stuck paying extra for their cake now, since it is so close to the date.

hanacakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 10

yeah it is really last minute...this is exactly the cake he wants...of course i told him no two cakes are alike but hes hoping for as close as possible. Someone told him $500 and $50 for delivery. And they don't want to give him a tasting so he doesn't even know if the cake will be good. yes i do know its very last minute but some personal stuff came up and its sort of a last minute wedding now. thanks for your help...hope someone else has some advice

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 10

does he know how many people he's serving? Or what size cake he needs?

I'm guessing in Manhatten area you're going to be looking at $5/serv as a LOW end price, and anywhere up to probably $10/serv+ so unless that cake is on the small side, I would say $500 in that area sounds reasonable!

hanacakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 10

he was looking outside of manhattan hoping someone would deliver out there for him. it doesn't have to be fondant but hes afraid to get someone who doesn't know how to do really smooth buttercream. he has invited 70 people. so of course i guess you want extra so i'm guessing 90 servings. and yeah i know ny is more money. just want to make sure he gets a good cake and a good deal =) he's my little brother after all

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:35pm
post #6 of 10

Maybe if you make the post title something that has to do with the general area they are in - you may get more responses from around there (and maybe even someone willing to do the cake?) Good luck!

hanacakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 10

how do i change the post title???

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:45pm
post #8 of 10

If that is the exact design he wants, shape and sizes then it doesn't matter how many servings, just that the cake sizes are.

I'm guessing that the one in the picture is atleast a 6/9/12, which would be 100 servings. I'm guessing since they have a higher cost of living than $500 for that cake would probably be a great deal.

hanacakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:50pm
post #9 of 10

thanks everyone i'm really appreciative of all the answers and advice and i know my brother will be appreciative as well!!! i've never made a cake that big so i really didn't have any idea on pricing. i've only ever done small cakes and always as favor or just paid for materials. Again thanks

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 10

For a cake like that I would charge $5 a serving so it sounds like, for a 100 serving cake, that he's right in the right ballpark!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%