What Should I Do About An Unlicensed Caker?

Decorating By Joybeth Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 8:53pm by Price

Joybeth Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 13

I went to a store today and saw a cake display with a ladies website and phone on a business card. It was a beautiful cake and I took a look at her website. She really did a fabulous job. BUT from her website states that she does not have a storefront, and its pretty obvious she is just starting out from the pics on her site. Should I send her an e-mail about the dangers of having a website and not being licensed? Do you think that would be rude? I didn't have a clue about stuff like that until I found CC. Feedback please.
Thanks.

12 replies
LaBellaFlor Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 13

I'm sure she knows all ready.

Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 13

Labellaflor is right..I'm sure she knows.I would leave it alone unless you have solid proof etc that she is doing something illegal which then at that point I may look into it further.

LaBellaFlor Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 13

I would not look into it further. I'm sure you have better things to do with your time, then to get into someone else's business who doesn't even know you.

dailey Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I'm sure she knows all ready.

i wouldn't assume that. when i started out, i advertised in the local newspaper. i had *no* idea that i wasn't able to bake from home! i only learned it was illegal after i joined several cake sites.

i *suppose* you could clue this women in on the fact that she shouldn't be advertising. i wouldn't want to be the one to burst her bubble though...

Joybeth Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 13

Hmmm...Good advice...I would hate for her to not know about it. I really know a lot of people who have no clue about it though. In a small town like where I live no one really knows much stuff about it. I had people who work in the county system tell me I needed to advertise and start a home business. Around here nobody cares. (Except for me..icon_sad.gif and a few of the people who actually have legit business' and go around reporting all those who are not... But hopefully she does know and is working on it. So I guess I won't do anything. Should I give her the link to cc? Maybe that way if she DOESNT know she could find out and I wouldn't be considered nosy or rude?

LaBellaFlor Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 13

That is a much better idea. If she doesn't know now, she will eventually from C.C. Great solution!

Joybeth Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:25pm
post #8 of 13

dailey, lol...I had everyone trying to advertise for me too. I still have a hard time convincing people I only bake for family. I wish we could change that ol' florida law though. lol

Joybeth Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:31pm
post #9 of 13

Ok the email has been sent. I gave her the link to cc and congratulated her on some of her pics. Hopefully she comes on here and can learn some stuff. Thanks for the feedback!
I can never get enough cakecentral!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:39pm
post #10 of 13

You don't know that she isn't using a rented licensed kitchen, just because she doesn't have a storefront does not automatically mean she is doing anything illegal.

Loucinda Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:44pm
post #11 of 13

I am with MRH - how do you know she isn't licensed? That being said, I think she will appreciate you sending her the links and being kind about it vs. some of the other options I have read about on this same subject. Kudos to you for taking the high ground! icon_smile.gif

Joybeth Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:38pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you! From everything I have read on her website and the pics she had just gotten started. In my town renting a kitchen is pretty much not an option. But in all possibility it could be probable. Just not a very high percentage. I hope she is though. There are some people in my town who think nothing of immediately reporting them and not informing them about the rules. I would hate for that to happen to her. Hopefully she'll come on here and learn a bunch! Thanks again!

Price Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:53pm
post #13 of 13

I also agree with MRH. Just because someone says they don't have a store front doesn't mean they are doing anything wrong. Even if she is baking from home, that is her business and her problem if she gets caught. I would not contact her about it, but that's just me. I'm not saying this in a nasty tone, just stating that I would just let it alone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%