What Causes The Fondant To Bulge?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 5 Mar 2010 , 3:01pm by millermom

Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 20

Everytime I watch Cakeboss or Ace of Cakes they cover their entire cakes in fondant.I also see that they use 1 inch layers and stack those about 4 high...so why do we never see their fondant bulge??I made a cake a few weeks ago and I used the 1 inch layers etc...crumbcoated etc...and I still got bulges....Why?? Is my fondant to thick/thin...How can I elimiate this.I am doing another 3D fondant covered cake next week and I don't want the BULGE icon_mad.gif

Thanks Laurel thumbs_up.gif

19 replies
Misdawn Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 20

editing my dear....editing.

mcdonald Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 20

could your fondant be too thick and therefore "falling down" from the weight??? Or do you have a strong enough dam to hold up the 2nd layer?

I have learned from here that I always fill and frost mine the night before so that the cake has time to "settle".. then the next day I cover in fondant and I have been pretty successful with that process.

Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 20

Misdawn..What do you mean? Is my spelling horrific?

Misdawn Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 20

sorry...I meant that you never see their fondant bulge because they most likely edit out little problems like that.

lilthorner Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 20

i fill my cakes and let them sit at least a couple hours.. then I trim them and then ice them.. I leave in cooler at least a couple hours, preferrably overnight.. i use 4 layers of cake 3 filling layers.. the cake layers are about 3/4 inch tall

Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:33pm
post #7 of 20

Ahhh I get it icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif I thought I made major spelling mistakes ..HEE!HEE!

Yeah you are probably right!!!We just don't see it... icon_wink.gif

Galler Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 20

Maybe you should use a firmer cake. I think they use pound cake?

Not to get sidetracked but did you see the episode of cakeboss where he went to Disney and he made the castle cake and all those characters for his daughters cake? I am guessing those were made in advance, (even though they made it seem like he made them right then) cause no way he could do all that in the time they say. What do you think?

Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:42pm
post #9 of 20

I think you are right..He only had a few hours to do the cake and I don't think even he can do multiple figures in that short of a time!

Do you think a firmer cake would do it? I don't have a good recipe for chocolate pound cake that isn't dry....hmmmmm..what to do...

lilthorner Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:45pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galler

Maybe you should use a firmer cake. I think they use pound cake?

I cover all types of cake with fondant.. chiffon, butter, etc.. and after I cover with fondant i put it back in the cooler.. when i bring it out to decorate I just don't touch it while the condensation is happening..

Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:48pm
post #11 of 20

So maybe what I needed to do was leave the cake overnight in the fridge to get good and cold...I'll try that too...

Peridot Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:53pm
post #12 of 20

I also torte and fill and let my cakes set overnight. I also use a very sturdy dam between my torted layers. So far I have been lucky with this method and have not had a disaster.

I saw the episode of Cake Boss that Galler is referring to....I would think that the figures were made ahead of time. I was not that impressed with his castle or his characters - sorry but I was not. There are a lot of CC'ers that have made castles and figures that are a hundred times better than Buddy's Disney castle cake. Sorry......don't mean to offend anyone or Buddy's fans but that's my opinion.

Galler Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:02pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

a very sturdy dam between my torted layers

What do you mean by sturdy dam?

SunshineSally Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 1:13am
post #14 of 20

I torte, fill and crumb coat mine and then let it sit over night to settle. I haven't had that problem anymore. I also use a stiff buttercream for the dam.

Peridot Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 1:17am
post #15 of 20

By sturdy dam I mean stiffened BC.

bizatchgirl Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 4:49am
post #16 of 20

If you watch Sugarshack's videos, she uses the dam method. Plus she kind of smooshes the cake down. I think this helps push out any air or space between your layers and your icing which could cause settling later.

There's a lot more she does that may be for bulging, but may just be for presentation, that's a bit hard to explain. Her videos are well worth getting!

BlakesCakes Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 5:21am
post #17 of 20

If you don't torte and put a large amount of filling in the cake, the top layer will smoosh down on the bottom layer and you'll get that tell-tale mid-line bulge.

You can use a very stiff dam (like Sharon shows in her DVD--she basically makes a rolled buttercream and pipes it as the dam), but I also find that if I torte the layers, use a regular buttercream dam, and divide my filling into 3 portions to fill the cakes, I don't get bulges.

The torted layers fit together well and look nice when cut.

Also, if you use a very stiff filling, you can fill torted layers edge to edge and they won't bulge, either.

Both tiers below were 2 2" layers, torted once and filled with mousse fillings, 3 layers of filling. The cakes are french vanilla and red velvet.

Rae
LL

MissRobin Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:36pm
post #18 of 20

I have been battling this issue for so long, and I think there are a number of things that contribute to a bulge free cake. First, I think your cakes need to settle and I thing applying pressure to push the air out also helps. Using a stiff dam also helps as well as rolling your fondant (if using fondant) to the right thickness. I think the thickness of the fondant has been one of my problems for a while and hopefully I have that figured out, but do we really ever figure all of this out, LOL!

tx_cupcake Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:51pm
post #19 of 20

If you ice your cake with ganache, you will not get a bulge of any kind.

millermom Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:01pm
post #20 of 20

When I took the Wilton fondant/gumpaste class, my instructor called those bulges "panty lines" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%