Freakin' Out...looking For Support

Decorating By Bella214 Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 7:20pm by Bella214

Bella214 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 11

So apparently, I am selling my first cake. My sons best friends mother asked me to make a cake for her birthday. I thought this was just a favor but she mentioned today that she has a budget of 60.00 and now I am freakin' out. This cake is going to be seen by people.....it is going to an event with her and I just don't think I am that good. I am still learning and have a lot to learn.

It is red velvet with strawberry filling. The icing is to be green, red and yellow (the colors of the African flag), and I am shaping it as the shape of Africa. It is to all be done in butter cream, and she wants the colors to be vertical stripes in each color across the cake. She also wants a chocolate cake topper like a hairdryer or something to represent her profession.

I am completely freaked out. She knows I am not a pro, but now I feel like this has to be an amazing cake and there is no room for mistakes, which normally, I don't worry much about because I am still learning.

Do you all have any tips on carving, icing or just moral support to lend? LOL I probably sound silly, but I feel so.......worried!

10 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 11

Well..personally a carved cake and extra chocolate topper etc would be way more than $60.00 so by her basically telling you how much she wants to spend and this is what I want is very pushy...Now that being said I also know you are very new as you said so this is a good opportunity so have fun with it.For future reference....don't let the customer dictate to you about price etc..You will soon learn that everyone will want a cake from X because she is cheap and that is a very hard stigma to get rid of if you ever decide to do it as a business.JMO icon_smile.gif

metria Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 11

make a prototype. even one that won't be as big as the final cake. any practice you can get, the better your end cake will be. i really can't imagine in my head what an africa-shaped cake with those colors should look like. good luck!

KHalstead Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 11

I agree that 60 is very cheap (depending on how large you make this)

Anyhow......as for the carving, I'm assuming you're carving a 2" high sheet cake into the shape of the country of Africa right? I would draw out the shape you want on paper first and cut it out (or print it from your pc, you can choose "poster print" and make it the size you need).....cut out the 'template' and lay it on your baked/cooled cake and use it as a guide to cut the shape. Works best if your cake is at least partially frozen (less crumbs when you go to ice it).

As for the vertical stripes and making them perfect, I would either mask off portions of the cake and airbrush the colors (ice the whole cake white, then spray the colored portions on) or if you don't have an airbrush, I would use the paper template and cover it with wax paper and do the whole top of the cake like a huge fbct, and make it nice and thick so it doesn't break on you, that way you will get a nice perfectly straight division of the colored stripes.

HTH

LaBellaFlor Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 11

$60?! For $60 bucks she gets something decent, not fabulous, and definitly no Ace of Cakes.

Bella214 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I agree that 60 is very cheap (depending on how large you make this)

Anyhow......as for the carving, I'm assuming you're carving a 2" high sheet cake into the shape of the country of Africa right? I would draw out the shape you want on paper first and cut it out (or print it from your pc, you can choose "poster print" and make it the size you need).....cut out the 'template' and lay it on your baked/cooled cake and use it as a guide to cut the shape. Works best if your cake is at least partially frozen (less crumbs when you go to ice it).

As for the vertical stripes and making them perfect, I would either mask off portions of the cake and airbrush the colors (ice the whole cake white, then spray the colored portions on) or if you don't have an airbrush, I would use the paper template and cover it with wax paper and do the whole top of the cake like a huge fbct, and make it nice and thick so it doesn't break on you, that way you will get a nice perfectly straight division of the colored stripes.

HTH

I considered this option. Could I actually do it as a BCT? The event is small and the person requesting says she doesn't think everyone will want cake. I suggested a default 9x13 (in all honesty, I cannot do anything more than that right now. I don't have the pans for it icon_smile.gif). She also said I should use my own inspiration or ideas for the cake but she wants it in those colors. I thought it would be a nice idea to carve it out like that. But that is NOT set in stone because the more I think about it, the more nervous I get. lol/

Bella214 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

$60?! For $60 bucks she gets something decent, not fabulous, and definitly no Ace of Cakes.

OMG, I LOVE, LOVE, LOBVE that show!

Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:45pm
post #8 of 11

If all you have is a 9x13 pan then that is the size I would make it.You can add all the colors she talked about without carving etc..Do some research on the web about the African culture and colors etc and I'm sure you will come up with something cute!

Butterpatty Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:04pm
post #10 of 11

How about a sheet cake with the outline of Africa on it, then ice the Africa shape in the 3 desired colors in a stipe pattern. You could then model a hairdryer from fondant and lay it across the Africa pattern or maybe a small fondant hairdryer for each side of the Africa shape?

Bella214 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:20pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you all very much! I am so nervous. I just don't know if I am good enough I guess. At any rate, I am sure it will be fine. Honestly, I really like the BCT idea. I just need to see what I can do for borders.

I may pass on carving the cake. It just seems like an awful lot to do in a short period of time for so small an amount of money (though this is my very first EVER paid cake and I still don't know whether to celebrate or freak out LOL).

I am not confident enough with my use of fondant to do it that way although that way would certainly be the best way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%