Supports For Dummy Cakes On Top Of "real" Cake???

Decorating By herdream Updated 5 Mar 2010 , 12:21am by BlakesCakes

herdream Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 4

Please help!
I have a 3 tier cake due tomorrow. The top two are dummy cakes 6" and 8" covered in fondant. The bottom tier is the actual cake which is 12" also covered in fondant.

Since fondant is typically heavy, i figured that I will need some support, so that the bottom layer will not be crushed. What do you suggest I use? Do I use dowels in the bottom layer only? Or will I have to go through all three layers?

Also, can I use plastic, or are the wooden ones better? Sorry for asking so many questions about this..... just want to prevent a disaster! icon_redface.gif

3 replies
costumeczar Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 4

You won't need any supports, they won't be that heavy unles you've putthe fondant on 1" thick. If you're really worried about it just put a few wooden dowels in the real cake.

Lyndseyb52 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 4

I'd say the same, I've made cakes with dummy cakes on top and I just sit them on with a dab of royal icing to keep them in place.

Good Luck

Lyndsey xx

BlakesCakes Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 12:21am
post #4 of 4

For safety's sake, I'd definitely put in at least 4 dowels in the bottom tier to support that set of 2 dummies.

The dummies are very lightweight, but with fondant and decoration, I'd think that they could easily wind up weighing about the same as another tier of real cake--which you would definitely support with dowels in the bottom cake.

JMHO
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%