Cakes Aren't Rising

Baking By Kylei_boy Updated 6 Mar 2010 , 3:31am by JanH

Kylei_boy Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 5

Hi there cake central users!

I am having a serious problem with my cake recipe and dont know what to do, my cakes are getting no hight whatsoever when they come out of the oven! I dont know if it is my recipe or if i am doing something wrong when mixing/baking the cake.

My recipe is

600g of self raising flour
450g of butter
450g of golden caster sugar
12 eggs
6 x 5ml spoons of baking powder

I use this recipe for a 14'' Cake tin and use the below method

Mix together the butter and sugar till creamy, then gradualy add in the eggs that have been beaten. Once all the egg is in i gradualy fold in the flour and baking powder that has been sived together.

I normaly bake for around 1 hour or untill cooked all the way through. The cake tastes realy nice but it is realy heavy, i want a more fluffy cake.

I have been reading that if you seperate the egg whites from the youlks and add them beaten in last it helps it rise but i havent had a chance to test this theory yet.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Many thanks Kyle

4 replies
2SchnauzerLady Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 5

Have you checked your flour and baking powder for expiration dates?

Kylei_boy Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 5

Yes flour and baking powder are both in date. Mabey if i add in more baking powder?

prterrell Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:39am
post #4 of 5

Self-rising flour already contains baking powder, so adding additional baking powder is actually causing your cake to fall and be short and dense.

JanH Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:31am
post #5 of 5

What temperature is your butter? How long are you beating the butter and sugar?

The creamed butter and the baking powder are what causes the leavening. If you aren't creaming long enough (4-5 minutes), you're not going to get maximum benefit:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/Butter.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%