4 Inch Layers

Decorating By blueirus Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 6:30pm by KHalstead

blueirus Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, I posted this question before but was wondering how the rest of you bakers get your four inch high cakes. I am doing a wedding cake for a friend and the layers really need to be pretty close to four inches. I only have 3 inch pans?

6 replies
jobueno Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 7

I normally bake 2 2inch pans understanding that you will not fill the pans all the way to the top. If your cakes crown and you have to level them losing about 3/4 of and inch it's no problem, with the filling and fondant you can get 4 inches high.

xanikesmom Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 7

I also do 2 2-inch layers. As pp said, by the time you level, fill, stack, and ice it should be around 4 inches.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 7

I'm not really sure how you would get 4" layers with a 3 inch pan? Why do you need 4" cakes? Are you using SPS?

LEHLA Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 7

3" pans are torted filled and iced should come up to 4" layers 1/2 inch filling and 1/2 icing on top I fill my pans 2/3 full of batter. that usally gets the 4 " you need.

have fun and good luck!!

blueirus Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:17pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone, I am using SPS and I don't really wanna buy new pans (it is for a friend and she isn't paying me anything for it) Its my gift to her. It will be fine no matter what, she will like it. I am just a perfectionist and the little details sometimes mess me up icon_redface.gif

KHalstead Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 7

I bake 2" high layers in 3" pans all the time, just don't fill them up as much! DUH, not sure why I never thought to just fill it all the way and do a 3" layer and then torte and fill lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%