Castle Cake?! Help!

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 4:45pm by Bettycrockermommy

CiNoRi Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 10

Hi all, im working on castle cake this week, and i have run into a little worry... icon_surprised.gif

Check out this photo:

See the purple "banding" around the turrets, and cake tiers? I am wanting to do something like that on mine... i had planned to make that out of Gumpaste... then add it to the cake after it had dried... my cake's turrets are fondant so not too worried there... but the cake itself is you think that those pieces will adhere and be sturdy enough if attached to the buttercream sides?... i am worried about it possibly sliding off...Do i need something to support it?

9 replies
jobueno Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 10

Hi there CiNoRi: I wouldn't try to apply those edges to buttercream, just too paranoid about it falling off. maybe someone else can give there opinion.

CakeEvolution Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 10

You could apply a lip/dam/row of Fondant first onto the outer edges of the cake <place it..half on the side and half on the top>......THEN glue the actual piece (in question) onto that....(if transporting, i would attach/glue that part in place once the cake reaches it final destination)
You could create a block/wall behind the entire piece (in questoin). Then you would be able to sit that block portion onto the cake (lock in place with dowels/skewers) and the purple fence (piece in questio) will/can up with the edge of your cake. Because the purple fence will be glued onto the block.

Think of it as observation deck....HTH

PM, if you need a better explanation.....I can talk you thru

CiNoRi Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks! I think i got ya, I'll give ya a ring if i get stuck.
I really appropriate your help!!!!

*fingers crossed* icon_wink.gif

DianeLM Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 10

I've attached fondant merlons to buttercream castles many times. Just make sure you roll your fondant thinly.

CiNoRi Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 10

hey guys! thanks again for your help... It turned out great and the client was thrilled!!!

KHalstead Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:43pm
post #7 of 10

looks awesome, I'll betcha the customer had no clue how worried you were over this!!!

Loucinda Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 10

Beautifu job!!!

Sagebrush Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:03pm
post #9 of 10

Oh, I love it... that's one of the nicest castle cakes I've seen.

Bettycrockermommy Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:45pm
post #10 of 10

I love it!! Great job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%