Did You Qualify For Small Bus Grants?

Business By joenshan Updated 5 Mar 2010 , 9:18am by indydebi

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 10:31am
post #1 of 11

Just wondering if anyone was able to get a grant to start their small business. I have been searching, but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. I thought maybe there would be assistance for female owned or small start ups. (??)

10 replies
noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 10:54am
post #2 of 11

there are a few programs in aus i know of that are run through charities such as mission australia. We also have a small business site set up and run through the governemnt that is full of resources and information on how to access grants and such, have you done a google search for anything? where abouts are you?

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 11:38am
post #3 of 11

Have you tried asking your local Small Business Administration office? One of their services is helping people find money.

http://www.sba.gov/aboutsba/sbaprograms/onlinewbc/WBC_2010_GRANT_ANNOUNCEMENT.html

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 11

The small biz grants are not designed to help people open any biz they want. You have to be opening either a non-profit org that directly benefits your area like a women's shelter or such, or an education facility such as a training center that helps others obtain job skills. Or some sort of biz the provides a service specifically to the government.

Eventhough they say there are grants for minors/women to start businesses it still has to fall into one of the categories.

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

The small biz grants are not designed to help people open any biz they want. You have to be opening either a non-profit org that directly benefits your area like a women's shelter or such, or an education facility such as a training center that helps others obtain job skills. Or some sort of biz the provides a service specifically to the government.

Eventhough they say there are grants for minors/women to start businesses it still has to fall into one of the categories.

Thanks for that info. That's the impression I got as I searched through the pages of grants.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:48pm
post #6 of 11

What really sucks is there are all these scammers that promise to help you get your grant for a fee and they tell you anyone who is a minority or a woman can get one easily to open a business or to reinvest in an existing business, some even say you can get grants for everyday expenses. It is a lie icon_sad.gif All you get is a book that you can go to the library and read for free that lists basically what the criteria are and bakeries and food establishments just do not qualify unless you are wanting to open a soup kitchen for your area, but then again you would have to prove your area is one that is in need of such a thing. Crazy.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 11

The government is not going to give you free money to start a for-profit business. EVERYONE would want some of that. You can borrow low interest money, but there's no free money.

surgery2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surgery2 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 11

I got a small business loan for $100 K , its paid back already, but thats what I did a few yrs ago.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 7:25am
post #9 of 11

in PA they have a program that helps you start your own business... BUT their annual budget is very very low... so by Jan 2010 (2nd week) their budget was depleted.... I think they give it to the people that have "pull" u know.... a friend of a friend that works there or the Mayor's newphew... lol
that's my opinion... because how can ur budget run out in 2 weeks???? when it's an annual budget!!!
I know someone that was able to open a regular mom & pop store through them... but it's NOT free $$$ to do as you wish... u have to account for every penny u spend and the expensae has to be valid (as per their "acceptable expenses" list....

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 8:36am
post #10 of 11

I don't know for sure, one cake shop owner told me she gets a grant that covers her expenses. All she has to do is give arts and craft classes to under privlidged kids once a month.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 9:18am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdebssweetsj

I don't know for sure, one cake shop owner told me she gets a grant that covers her expenses. All she has to do is give arts and craft classes to under privlidged kids once a month.

that would fall under "Education" grants.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%