Ut Football Cake?

Decorating By irisinbloom Updated 31 Aug 2005 , 12:58am by irisinbloom

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 28 Aug 2005 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 9

Good morning decorators, I sure could use some help on a cake I have been asked to do for this next Saturday. It is a UT Football cake so I don't have a football cake pan and don't really want to purchase one just for this. Is there any way I can take my oval cake pans and get this effect (football). I have searched and can't seem to find a pic of football cakes to get any ideas. I have found UT pics so maybe I can do a bct on a sheet cake , but wanted to place a football cake on top of the sheet cake. Any ideas and help would be greatfully appreciatedicon_smile.gif

8 replies
missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 8:42am
post #2 of 9

Hi irisinbloom!
I am not sure what is in Jonesborough, but most of the smaller cake decorating supply stores (not the Michaels type) rent their shaped pans for a minimal charge. This might be an option. I have never tried to make a football out of the oval pans, but I am sure others have done so successfully. You might want to torte it though to give it some height. Then kind of round off the top layer, I am sure the points will be fine as is, but the rounding is what would make the difference. If I recall correctly, I believe there is a cake in the gallery in the sports section where a member used the oval pan for her football.

I know I was probably not much help, but I wanted to offer a suggestion on possibly renting the pan, since you didn't want to purchase it. However, I have used my football pan for more than just the football and it has come to be one of my most useful pans! icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck!!
Leslie icon_smile.gif

missmersh Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 9

Hi Iris!
Here is the picture from the Gallery of the football done using the oval pans. Veejaytx did it. You might want to ask her for suggestions! I think she did a fantastic job!!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=45&pos=104

Leslie icon_smile.gif

irisinbloom Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks a bunch Leslie, I will pm her and see if she can direct me on this, again THANKSicon_smile.gif

GinaJuarez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaJuarez Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 9

DO you happen to have a wondermold pan? If you do, you can bake that, cut it top to bottom in half. and put them together cut side down. I have a magic line wondermold thingy, and that's one of the suggestions.

irisinbloom Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 9

Yea as a matter of fact I do have the wonder mold pan, duh I never even thought of that. I have so many pans oh well one of these days I am going to have to take time and inventory, thanks so much to you and Leslieicon_smile.gif

missmersh Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 9

Iris,
You are very welcome!! I just know your cake is gonna be great!

Can't wait to see pictures!!!
Leslie

LAA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LAA Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 8:17pm
post #8 of 9

Does it have to be a football shape. My nephew was starting his freshman year at UK. I went to the official UK website and copied the UK logo and did a bct on a sheet cake. It was incredible and very easy. Everyone just loved it. When I get home, I will post a picture. Very proud of the way it turned out.

Just a suggestion.

Lisa

irisinbloom Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 12:58am
post #9 of 9

Yea my supervisor wanted me to make it for work for this Saturday. I am not a football fan by no means and we are having a football kick-off party for all employees so it has to be UT football. Even though when she first ask me she said a football shaped cake then she said it doesn't matter, so I thought about doing a 1/4 sheet with the football on top. I haven't done but a few bct and really don't feel to comfortable doing them yet but I am going to try one for this cake. Thanks a bunchicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%