I'm Jealous, And My Husband Likes To Brag...

Decorating By cocobean Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 6:42am by noahsmummy

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 5:35am
post #1 of 3

My dh a CFO and tax accountant of a company. He does income taxes on the side. People do not blink when he charges them 75.00 for a return that takes him 30 minutes. (And by the way he gives them a great deal at that). H and R Block would charge someone around 200.00 for the same return. Anyway he's alwaying saying, "I don't know why you want to continue doing your cakes. You don't make any money"! icon_redface.gif

When I charge someone 75.00 for a cake, they act like I am robbing them. Plus it doesn't JUST take me 30 minutes! icon_cry.gificon_mad.gifthumbsdown.gificon_confused.gificon_surprised.gif

This is crazy! I do have a school teaching degree that I spent 4 years getting (not that that has anything to do with cakes) and I have spent 6 years teaching myself caking ( is that a word)?

I charge people 3.00-3.50 a serving for cake and very few call back.
What is the deal? People pay for taxes but not for cake! thumbsdown.gif

2 replies
kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:04am
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobean

When I charge someone 75.00 for a cake, they act like I am robbing them. Plus it doesn't JUST take me 30 minutes! icon_cry.gificon_mad.gifthumbsdown.gificon_confused.gificon_surprised.gif ....What is the deal? People pay for taxes but not for cake! thumbsdown.gif

Unfortunately, people are afraid of the IRS. They worry that a little mistake will send them to jail so they think they need a professional. Most people have a hard time thinking of Cake Decorators as professionals, so they don't think they should have to pay them a professional wage. "After all" they think, "we all have kitchens, pans, flour, etc. This person just has a knack for decorating" They don't see the labor, time and expense we put into it to bring it to a professional level.

I wish I knew how we could change this idea. But you aren't alone! I feel your pain!

Kathi

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:42am
post #3 of 3

i agree with that, but i really had to laugh, seeing as the add above your post is for accountants! lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%