Cooling And Leveling

Decorating By monet1895 Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 7:55pm by monet1895

monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 5:25am
post #1 of 7

I've been cooling my cakes in the pan, and then flipping them out, leveling them, wrapping in plastic wrap, and then freezing. I read today that some people level AFTER the cake has been frozen and thawed. Thoughts or tips? TIA!

6 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:05am
post #2 of 7

i level mine while still in the pan. with a serrated knife. i let them cool for at least 10 min. first. i have also leveled after freezing them and then thawed. right before i ice them. either way is good.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:30am
post #3 of 7

I've done it both ways and I have to say that I prefer to level my cakes before freezing. I also level mine while still in the pan.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 12:48pm
post #4 of 7

I "third" that. I level mine in the pan.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:04pm
post #5 of 7

I used to level before until I started noticing some of my cakes were coming out of the freezer unlevel. I think *someone* has been wrapping the cakes too tightly. Of course *someone* has also been stacking unfrozen cakes on top of each other. I am too busy to be the freezer monitor. I have oriented and reminded and placed written instructions on the freezer doors. No big deal, same amount of time either way.

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 7

I can't level my cakes while still in the pan because the dome of the cake starts rising before the end of the pan (which is 3" deep). I end up cooling it, taking it out and cutting of the dome / levelling it afterwards which means its under 3" but once you ice it with fondant etc, it should be about 3".

monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:55pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%