Why Does My Mmf Have Grainy Texture...

Decorating By Donnabugg Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 6:31am by Elise87

Donnabugg Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:04am
post #1 of 10

Hi all. Made some fondant a few nights ago. Used Rhonda's MMF for the second time. First time turned out wonderful second time...well..not so great. Not only does it have a very grainy feel but it's also a little on the dry side and not very stretchy. Now I will say the second time I used the International House vanilla latte creamer in place of the water but I've read on here that others have used it as well?? Any thoughts or ideas for these two issue? Thanks!

9 replies
Loucinda Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:08am
post #2 of 10

I have never read that you can switch that creamer for the water/flavoring?? I make MMF all the time, and never have any problems with it - but I always use water and vanilla nothing else for the liquids.

SunshineSally Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 5:25am
post #3 of 10

I'm sure there are others on here with more experience than me but I've been making MMF almost continuously for the past 2 months and I have learned some things thru trial and error and experimenting and some things from others on here.
I've never heard of using coffee creamer for the liquid so that might be causing some grainy issue?

Here's what I've learned since making MMF:

1)Sift your powdered sugar.

2)Always use high quality products.

3)You don't necessarily HAVE to use all the powdered sugar that is called for in the recipe. (I never have. I add it gradually and use my judgement as to when the consistency is right) I also kinda wing it with the water amount.

4)It is super easy to make in the KA with the dough hook.

5)You have to let it rest long enough after making it.

6)My dirty little secret is that I have only used marshmallows to make MMF one time and I ended up with a grainy issue. I use Marshmallow Fluff and it works great.

HTH

CakeMommyTX Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:03am
post #4 of 10

I've never heard of using creamer in mmf, maybe you were thinking of butter cream?
The only time I've had grainy mmf was when I used a different brand of ps and it was not completely ground, just a bad batch I guess.
It was somewhere between ps and granulated sugar.

mamawrobin Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:27am
post #5 of 10

Never heard of switching creamer for water in MMF. I think you must have that confused with buttercream.

Donnabugg Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:04am
post #6 of 10
sillywabbitz Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:58am
post #7 of 10

I tried MMF a few weeks ago for the first time. I've read all the threads and tips and it was still a total disaster. It wouldn't roll out for anything. It was like a giant marshmallow...no give. I'm willing to give it a couple of more tries but I am amazed how many people have had so much success with it. Good luck on your next batch.

monet1895 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 6:14am
post #8 of 10

Donna~ It looks like those links you provided regarding creamer in fondant are referring to MFF--Michele Fosters Fondant. This is a VERY different recipe than Rhondas MMF. I've made Rhondas MMF several times w/ great succes, but I've never used creamer. Lots of people love Michele Fosters recipe, so here's the link:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7432/michele-fosters-updated-fondant

noahsmummy Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 6:28am
post #9 of 10

macsmoms variation on mmf is great too! she uses glycerine inplace of corn syrup. i found it difficult to track down the glycerin.. took me about a month.. but it is sooooooo worth it! its abolouty brilliant to work with and is very easy to make. Like others have said, i kinda just woing it when it comes to the water and p.s part of the recipe. just add bits at a time until it looks/feels right. =)

Elise87 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 6:31am
post #10 of 10

i have no idea about this but just throwing it in there..........could it be grainy because of the marshmallows you are using, did you change marshmallow brands? It's just some marshmallows are smoother where as other's have a most slighty more sort of crystalised outside to them and maybe that is causing it to be 'grainy'? otherwise all i can think of is the icing sugar causing it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%