Cover A 3D Purse With One Full Piece Or Piece It?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 6:46pm by Kiddiekakes

Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 12:44am
post #1 of 6

I've been getting more and more orders for 3D Fondant covered purses,bags etc...I am not very good with covering large cakes with fondant icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif so I really don't like to do it if I don't have to...that being said....Here is a picture of the clutch bag the customer wants...should I cover it in one large piece or cut and piece the front,back and sides?? Which is easier?

Laurel icon_smile.gif
LL

5 replies
lilthorner Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 6

I usually piece my purse cakes, but on this one you could cover the entire thing and then make a separate piece for the flap..

Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks Lilthorner....I think I will do one piece as the purse itself is not going to be huge or tall so I am not as scared to cover it in one piece as a tall 8 inch cake would be.

Can I ask how you determine the size to cut for the pieces..Just eye it? Do you have any tips to make it easier?

Thanks Laurel

KHalstead Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 6

once you have the whole thing covered, I would take a sheet of paper and lay it over the top and draw on the paper while it's on the cake to give you a rough outline of the size you need your flap to be.....cut it out and use it as a template.

lilthorner Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 6

yup, what K said

if I'm piecing, I measure, roll out a rectangle or whatever to the general size.. then I cut the edges using an xacto or razor while on the cake

Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 6

Ahhh..lightbulb moment...I never thought of that KHalstead....now that's using your noodle!!!

Thanks Ladies.... thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%