Cover A 3D Purse With One Full Piece Or Piece It?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 6:46pm by Kiddiekakes

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 12:44am
post #1 of 6

I've been getting more and more orders for 3D Fondant covered purses,bags etc...I am not very good with covering large cakes with fondant icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif so I really don't like to do it if I don't have to...that being said....Here is a picture of the clutch bag the customer wants...should I cover it in one large piece or cut and piece the front,back and sides?? Which is easier?

Laurel icon_smile.gif
LL

5 replies
lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 6

I usually piece my purse cakes, but on this one you could cover the entire thing and then make a separate piece for the flap..

Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks Lilthorner....I think I will do one piece as the purse itself is not going to be huge or tall so I am not as scared to cover it in one piece as a tall 8 inch cake would be.

Can I ask how you determine the size to cut for the pieces..Just eye it? Do you have any tips to make it easier?

Thanks Laurel

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 6

once you have the whole thing covered, I would take a sheet of paper and lay it over the top and draw on the paper while it's on the cake to give you a rough outline of the size you need your flap to be.....cut it out and use it as a template.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 6

yup, what K said

if I'm piecing, I measure, roll out a rectangle or whatever to the general size.. then I cut the edges using an xacto or razor while on the cake

Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 6

Ahhh..lightbulb moment...I never thought of that KHalstead....now that's using your noodle!!!

Thanks Ladies.... thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%