Real Wine Glasses On A Cake

Decorating By Kiwi777 Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 2:52am by CWR41

Kiwi777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiwi777 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 12

Hi...I am making a 3-tiered wedding cake covered in IMBC and the bride has requested to have four up-side-down wine glasses between the middle and top tier with sugar orchids inside the glasses. My question is....how do I put the wine glasses on the middle tier without them sinking into the butter cream, and without the orchids touching the butter cream? The only thing I can think of is putting a thin sheet of cardboard covered in foil on top of the middle tier, then putting the glasses/orchids on top of that. That doesn't seem like the most attractive method, but it's the only thing I can think of. Does anyone out there have a better suggestion?

11 replies
Justforfun751 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justforfun751 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 12

How about making a colorflow or royal icing plaque? Or covering a cake circle in royal icing or fondant?

Kiwi777 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 12

You're right! That would look tons better. Thank you!

Justforfun751 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justforfun751 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 12

What ever you do, I'm sure it will be beautiful! I looked at your photos- you do absolutely wonderful cakes! icon_eek.gif I hope you post this one when its done! icon_biggrin.gif

cakenewby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewby Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 12

I would use a plastic separator plate. The kind you use with pillars. Just put your supports in the cake and then lay the plate directly onto the cake. It will give you a strong even base that will support the wine glasses. They only come in white that i know of but i think that would be the most attractive way. If your cake is going to be a different color you could icing over it and the glasses and flowers still wouldn't be actually touching your cake. R u covering the cake in fondant? If so i would icing the cake, place your separator plate and then fondant over the plate.

snowqueen93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowqueen93 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 12

Those suggestions all work unless they want to cut through the cake. I've done this many times and I use the large dowels to support the glasses. Place three dowels in the cake, where the rim of the glass is going to touch the cake, ice over (which I did not do in the pictures I've posted and I should have), remember where the dowels are by marking with a small pin prick or something else that will be covered with the glass rim, and set up the glasses. Do this for all the glasses you set. That way they can still cut through the cake with everyone watching. Its pretty impressive. As for keeping the orchids from touching the cake - I would put a taunt piece of clear plastic on the top of the cup prior to setting it on the cake which would form a barrier but would not be seen.
Good luck.

Kiwi777 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I should have mentioned that the tiers are square, so I think I'll stay away from the separator plate as I've only seen them in rounds in our local Michaels. Cakenewby, I'm not using fondant on this cake, just IMBC.

cakenewby Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 12

They do make square ones, i have some but don't use them often. The cake can be cut, unless you use a plate that is the same size as the top of the cake, i was thinking a smaller one just to fit under the glasses. The wooden dowels would work but i would be nervous about stability. The slightest shift and all comes down. I'm always afraid of the little one that gets to run around and bumps into the cake table. Good Luck!

cakenewby Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 9:42pm
post #9 of 12

Hey kiwi777, i just realized that we joined cake central on the same day and we are posting on the same day 3 years later. Crazy huh! That kind of stuff makes me giggle!

Kiwi777 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 10:20pm
post #10 of 12

Oh WOW cakenewby...that's kind of freaky....but cool, too! icon_smile.gif

Lenora05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenora05 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 11:11pm
post #11 of 12

I've done this before using champagne glasses and I used a 6" round mirror. You might have to use a 7" to fit the wine glasses on it completely, but it was a really beautiful result. I also used an upside down mirror under the top tier so the reflection in the bottom mirror wasn't the underside of the cake board.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:52am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora05

I've done this before using champagne glasses and I used a 6" round mirror. You might have to use a 7" to fit the wine glasses on it completely, but it was a really beautiful result. I also used an upside down mirror under the top tier so the reflection in the bottom mirror wasn't the underside of the cake board.

I like this idea. It does sound like a beautiful result, with a modern flair.

When these type of cakes were popular 30 years ago, they were usually done with the upside down glasses on top of a Wilton separator plate, and the plate would be completely covered with a pattern of buttercream shell borders which helped to provide a "suction" so the glasses didn't slide around. Sometimes champagne glasses were used on the larger bottom tier, and wine glasses or flutes on the smaller tier(s) because they're more narrow and fit where 4 champagne glasses won't.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%