Toddler Friendly Cake Recipes?

Baking By greyhoundlover Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 8:33am by brincess_b

greyhoundlover Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 18

Hello

I was wondering if anyone has a toddler friendly cake recipe they could share?

Thanks
Sheri

17 replies
cakefort Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 18

Wouldn't that just be cake? icon_lol.gif

What are you looking for specifically? Plain yellow cake with BC?

Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 18

Toddler friendly icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif not sure what that means....

2SchnauzerLady Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 18

I believe most toddlers like just plain yellow cake and plain icing - they can't really appreciate different flavors. Toddlers do well with basic flavors. I remember one of my nieces used to really turn her nose up at chocolate as a toddler, but now at 16, is a chocoholic.

mckaren Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 18

Basic vanilla or chocolate sponge with bc should do it. You could always do a banana or apple filling but in my experience they tend to eat mostly just the icing!! icon_lol.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 18

Ahhh..I get it..Yup...usually just licking the icing!!!

ZoesMum Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 18

My daughter still just likes the icing (and fondant!!) and she is five...no interest in the cake, just the icing. So cake flavours are lost on her!! I was vote for a plain vanilla or yellow cake too...I know a lot of little ones who don't like chocolate at that age...

greyhoundlover Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:48pm
post #8 of 18

I have a client taht asked for a toddler friendly cake! i am assuming one with not alot of sugar and maybe some apple sauce?

AngelaM Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:49pm
post #9 of 18

Mine will eat any cake you put in front of them! icon_biggrin.gif

SandiOh Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:56pm
post #10 of 18

my 5 year old is a cake snob. ONLY vanilla, with GREEN frosting, and sprinkles if you please....

snocilla Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:56pm
post #11 of 18

Well my little girl is turning 4, and asked for 3 tiers for her birthday - Strawberry, Chocolate, and Vanilla!

Adevag Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 10:45pm
post #12 of 18

maybe she mentioned "toddler friendly" to let you know that children would be eating it, so that you would not use any alcohol in it. Just a guess. If she wanted a cake with less sugar, she should have been more specific and not expected you to read her mind on what "toddler friendly" means to her...

rainbow_kisses Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 11:34pm
post #13 of 18

My daughter eats alsorts of flavours at 3 and won't touch icing or frosting unless it has very little sugar in it.
Maybe ask the customer what she ment by 'toddler friendly' as I would of thought no alchol or very little sugar.

snocilla my daughter wants 2, 2 tier cakes for her birthday so that she can get more flavours and eat more cake icon_lol.gif

snocilla Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:11am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Quote:

my daughter wants 2, 2 tier cakes for her birthday so that she can get more flavours and eat more cake

Yeah, my daughter actually picked about 5 or 6 flavors, but I made her limit it to 3. Kids are so funny!

SunshineSally Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 5:41am
post #15 of 18

I have a 4yo boy and a 6yo boy. They both ask for chocolate cake with plain buttercream and oreos somewhere in it or on it. Of course they will eat any flavor though! My 22 month old daughter hasn't refused any cake either.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:49am
post #16 of 18

For the last two toddler/childrens cakes I've made, I've done wasc with an Oreo filling(just my regular BC mixed in with crushed Oreos) they're always a huge hit with the little ones and grown ups.

CeeTee Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:53am
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhoundlover

I have a client taht asked for a toddler friendly cake! i am assuming one with not alot of sugar and maybe some apple sauce?

Definitely get more info and clarification from the client. "Toddler-Friendly" has so many possible meanings and is way too vague. Does the kid have allergies? What are their favorite flavors? Does the mom possibly mean she wants a Vegan recipe? A cake design/serving option which isn't super messy?

brincess_b Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:33am
post #18 of 18

apple sauce is like sugasr is disguise - if the customers problem is sugar,t heres only so much you can do - id be suggesting she sticks to small slices
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%