Double Barrel - Support And Serving Qs

Decorating By overindulged Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 8:39pm by mamawrobin

overindulged Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 2

I love the look of the double barrel tier... even if its a single tier. I was thinking of making this for my daughter's birthday cake (in May, but I'm in a planning mode) so I'd like to practice this... I have some questions... I usually bake 2" cakes and torted @1". so a double layer is about 4". Should I have 2 layers on a cake board, then lay another 2 layers on another cakeboard on top? Then maybe dowels on the bottom cake? (like a tiered cake but only the same diameter?) or should I just have a really tall 8" stacked layers?

How would you serve/cut into this really tall cake? especially if its covered in fondant? I'm assuming its easier if there's an intermediate cake board... And if you do have 2 cakeboards, how do you prevent the BC from sticking to the bottom of the cake board.

TIA! icon_smile.gif

1 reply
mamawrobin Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 2

I made a hat cake for my kids school yesterday (Dr. Seuss birthday celebration). I used five 6" cake layers to construct the "hat". I stacked 3 layers on one cakeboard, inserted supports then added the other two layers on their own cakeboard. Then I put a long wooden dowel in the entire thing for added support.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%