Things That You Wish Someone Would Invent...

Decorating By jhay Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 5:01am by zdebssweetsj

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 33

I wish someone would invent dowels with accurate measurements marked off on them so that level dowling would be easier!

Anyone else have a "wish-they-would make that" thought?

32 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 33

they make them for sps system!

I wish they would invite a relatively cheap machine that would mix/bake/wrap all of my cakes so I could push a button and have my cakes DoNE.

Oh, or did you mean realistic inventions?

jhay Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 33

I'm just afraid of not getting an SPS system back...I know that I could charge a deposit and whatnot, but I'm hoping for basic plastic/wooden dowels...b/c I'm lazy and don't like to measure them. Ha!

No, it can be any invention...you're cake maker-wrapper machine sounds like a DREAM!

Rosa2745 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosa2745 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 33

I wish they would invent a glue gun that you could use with food. I've heard you can make sugar sticks for glue guns but I want them packaged and ready to use. Ha!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 33

I would like a sheeter that is affordable for the average cake desginer!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 33

Yes, yes - an affordable sheeter. Hate rolling that fondant!

jhay Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 7:42pm
post #7 of 33

Love it! All are great ideas....we could make millions I tell you! Millions!

klangl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klangl Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 7:51pm
post #8 of 33

I want a cleaning fairy to show up or pop out of a can when i'm finished with my cakes. Clean up my mess of what was once, a kitchen!
I heard of stories where the DH has played this part in the past, Where can I get one of those? My DH knows how to heat up, eat up, but not the clean up!! LOL!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:07pm
post #9 of 33

I need a machine that would steady my hand while I pipe words on a cake. With a driver for cartridges in different fonts. You'd pre-program the thingy with the message and the font, and it would make your hand move and apply the proper pressure but it would still be you doing the writing so you could say "Why, I did that myself, of course"! Only with terrific penmanship (and spelling, naturally).

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:28pm
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Quote:

I want a cleaning fairy to show up or pop out of a can when i'm finished with my cakes. Clean up my mess of what was once, a kitchen!
I heard of stories where the DH has played this part in the past, Where can I get one of those? My DH knows how to heat up, eat up, but not the clean up!! LOL!

When you get done with that clean up fairy, can you please send her to my house? icon_biggrin.gif

...And I want fold up counter space, that I could spread out when I need it, and fold it up and put it away when I'm done.

KHalstead Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:39pm
post #11 of 33

Ok, I just made a little gumpaste baby for a cake and had to dust all the little creases and such with petal dust and I thought.............

It would be so awesome if someone would invent a little "kit" of petal dust, kinda like an eyeshadow kit. Maybe 12 different little compressed cakes of different complimentary colors that you could get for maybe the cost of 3 regular colors or something??? How awesome would that be??

Then if you needed say 4 or 5 different tones of a color you wouldn't have to buy each of those separate little jars and monkey around with opening them, not spilling them, and so on!

Someone PLEASE invent this!

KHalstead Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:45pm
post #12 of 33

[quote="snocilla"]

Quote:
Quote:

...And I want fold up counter space, that I could spread out when I need it, and fold it up and put it away when I'm done.

You could do this.........just get a piece of wood and put it on a hinge and attach to the wall and put one little leg underneath on a hinge to prop it up once you open it up.

http://www.xomba.com/need_more_kitchen_counter_space_build_fold_down_table_tight_spaces

I also have a table like this for when I have a bunch of cakes due on the same day......when you fold both sides down the whole table is like 3 feet long, but only 6" wide, I just butt it up against a wall when I'm not using it...but when I need it I've got a 3'x4' table at my disposal. I love it!
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=409454&pid=_DoubleClick_Affiliates&srccode=cii_15781033&cpncode=24-75926620-2

snocilla Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:50pm
post #13 of 33
Quote:
Quote:

It would be so awesome if someone would invent a little "kit" of petal dust, kinda like an eyeshadow kit. Maybe 12 different little compressed cakes of different complimentary colors that you could get for maybe the cost of 3 regular colors or something??? How awesome would that be??

Then if you needed say 4 or 5 different tones of a color you wouldn't have to buy each of those separate little jars and monkey around with opening them, not spilling them, and so on!

Great idea Khalstead!

Quote:
Quote:

I also have a table like this for when I have a bunch of cakes due on the same day......when you fold both sides down the whole table is like 3 feet long, but only 6" wide, I just butt it up against a wall when I'm not using it...but when I need it I've got a 3'x4' table at my disposal. I love it!
http://www.samsclub.com/shoppi.....75926620-2

Hmmm... I need to get one of these. I cant see the other link right now (my work blocks everything) but I don't know if I even have a wall to attach it to... hmmm...

KHalstead Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:56pm
post #14 of 33

go for the folding table then, it is so awesom! You could slide that thing behind a door just about, it's rediculously small when folded up!

The one link gave instructions on building a fold away table/countertop

the second link was to a pic. of a folding table........both sides drop down leaving you with a skinny long table!

FierceConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FierceConfections Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:02pm
post #15 of 33

A portable cake photography studio that folds up for easy storage!

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:05pm
post #16 of 33

For dowels try Cake Jacks. They are inexpensive, come in several heights and you just screw them up or down, they are GREAT! Four of them for under $7 if I remember correctly. Great ideas! Love the compact of dusting colors ideas!!!! Run to the patent office Khalstead!

KHalstead Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:07pm
post #17 of 33

that too, I want one of those!!!

Right now I use one of those folding tri fold science project cardboards and I have different colors of fabric with velcro sewn on the edge and there is the opposit velcro on the back of the cardboard thing...works nicely for a decent background.

But a folding light box would be awesome!! they have these things

http://www.hardwaresphere.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/portable-photo-studio.jpg

But I've never seen one big enough to handle a nice tall tiered cake!

FierceConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FierceConfections Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:42pm
post #18 of 33

Someone recently posted a tutorial on how to make your own light box out of a cardboard box and desk lamps. It's fantastic!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=670882&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Theoretically, you could make one as big or as small as you want. Storing it, however, is another issue!

Edited to add: And I guess you already know about that since you commented on it! icon_lol.gif

KHalstead Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:54pm
post #19 of 33

lol..............yes and I plan to make one......just wish I could figure out how to make it folding!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:10pm
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

they make them for sps system!

I wish they would invite a relatively cheap machine that would mix/bake/wrap all of my cakes so I could push a button and have my cakes DoNE.

Oh, or did you mean realistic inventions?

My vote is for this invention too! icon_smile.gif

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:14pm
post #21 of 33

[quote="KHalstead"][quote="snocilla"]

Quote:
Quote:

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=409454&pid=_DoubleClick_Affiliates&srccode=cii_15781033&cpncode=24-75926620-2

My dining table is an oak one of these. They used to be very popular in the early 1900's. They are called drop leaf tables.

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 9:23pm
post #22 of 33

a cake cart with a hydraulic lift with shock absorbers. My husband swears when he retires soon he will try and make me one. icon_biggrin.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 9:30pm
post #23 of 33

I don't want much...just a box that sits on my counter with unlimited funds inside. I could reach in and pull out whatever amount of cash I need at the time - $20, $200, $2000, $20,000. Wouldn't matter what time of day or how much cash you need - it's always there. That would sure make supporting this hobby much easier! icon_lol.gif

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 9:32pm
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhay

I wish someone would invent dowels with accurate measurements marked off on them so that level dowling would be easier!

Anyone else have a "wish-they-would make that" thought?

Another vote for that! I am the world's worst at cutting my dowels to the same height which always results in a slightly leaning cake. I'd like dowels with marks in them so they are easy to cut to the proper height.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 9:37pm
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusti

a cake cart with a hydraulic lift with shock absorbers. My husband swears when he retires soon he will try and make me one. icon_biggrin.gif

I want one too icon_smile.gif

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 9:42pm
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by klangl

OH my, yes!

Every single time I bake a cake or cookies and decorate them I stop when I'm finished, take a deep breath, close my eyes and hope for the cleaning fairy.... but every time I open my eyes, the mess is still there!

snocilla Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 9:43pm
post #27 of 33
Quote:
Quote:

I don't want much...just a box that sits on my counter with unlimited funds inside. I could reach in and pull out whatever amount of cash I need at the time - $20, $200, $2000, $20,000. Wouldn't matter what time of day or how much cash you need - it's always there. That would sure make supporting this hobby much easier!

I think we all need one of these!

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 9:54pm
post #28 of 33

I vote for the afforadable sheeter!!! And...if someone would come out with a more extensive line of pre-colored fondant, that wouldn't be bad either!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 4:56am
post #29 of 33

KHalstead's colored dust compact, Rusti's hydraulic cake lift and newmansmom2004's magic money box all top my list. I could even live without the cleaning fairy, because if I had the money box I could afford to hire someone to clean and even be able to offer a decent salary!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:27pm
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhay

I'm just afraid of not getting an SPS system back...I know that I could charge a deposit and whatnot, but I'm hoping for basic plastic/wooden dowels...b/c I'm lazy and don't like to measure them. Ha!

The SPS system is cheap. It was designed to be disposable. Just include the cost of the system in the price of the cake. Then you don't have to worry about getting it back.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%