Steamer Question...

Decorating By pieceacake830 Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 3:32am by confectionsofahousewife

pieceacake830 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 10

I am looking into buying a steamer... What kind do you use? Is it better to take the end off the steamer... the piece with all the holes in it, or leave it in place?
I've seen some inexpensive ones out there, around $20-$30... Any reason I'd need to do for the more expensive ones???

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Debbie

9 replies
pieceacake830 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 1:46am
post #2 of 10

anyone?

confectionsofahousewife Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 1:56am
post #3 of 10

I'm no expert but I just bought a Rowenta handheld steamer last week at Target for $30. I figured Rowenta is a good brand. I love that its small so it doesn't take up a lot of space and its small enough to maneuver around the cake to steam any pieces. I have only used it once but found it to be very effective. The water reservoir is small but its not difficult to refill and steaming parts of a cake doesn't use much water anyway. HTH

manomi Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:01am
post #4 of 10

I just bought one from walmart..i think it was for about $20-$25 and it works fine..Its a portable hand held steamer.
HTH

pieceacake830 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:28am
post #5 of 10

Thanks guys... I was wondering about the holes in the attachment thingy.... How far away do you hold the wand? I dont want it to get too wet that makes runs on the side of my cake.

TIA
Debbie

pattycakesnj Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:44am
post #6 of 10

Just be careful you don't buy one that spits water out, some of the cheaper ones may do that. However, that being said, my cost $19.99 at kohls and works great.

pieceacake830 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:46am
post #7 of 10

Thanks! Hadn't thought of Kohl's!

DessertDreams Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:58am
post #8 of 10

I've seen Buddy from Cake Boss with a steamer and always wondered what is was for....what/when do you use a steamer???

chrissypie Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:10am
post #9 of 10

To make fondant glossy, also helps to seal petal dusts on gumpaste flowers

confectionsofahousewife Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:32am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceacake830

Thanks guys... I was wondering about the holes in the attachment thingy.... How far away do you hold the wand? I dont want it to get too wet that makes runs on the side of my cake.

TIA
Debbie

Mine only has a brush attachment so you can rub clothes I guess so I definitely don't use that. I held mine pretty close to the cake or it didn't seem to steam my fondant enough. I was afraid of drippage but got none! I had no trouble with it spitting water. I could hold it sideways or upside down and it steamed no matter what.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%