Stenciling On Cake, Help~!!!

Decorating By 2txmedics Updated 8 Mar 2010 , 10:32pm by 2txmedics

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 9

Ok, been doing cakes for friends now for over yr...and Im still new to it, So Ive noticed how Beautiful these Damask cakes are, and just some Gorgeous Designs, I thought how hard can it be?

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN NOT DO IT!!! The only difference I did was instead of using my reg. recipe of BC that has whipped cream and half/half, I used a new one, that calls for unsalted butter.

I did my cake, and I decided I wanted to try the BC for stenciling...So I thinned it...I crumb coated the cake, iced it, and let it dry for an hr....I then Airbrushed the side and let that dry for another hr....then I went to work, IT CAME OUT HORRIBLE....

WHAT DID I DO WRONG??? HELP, INPUT PLEASE!!! MY PICTURE OF THE CAKE IS MY LAST CAKE POSTED IN, I PUT IT UP LAST NIGHT....

8 replies
Chickycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chickycakes Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 9

Don't use Buttercream. Use royal icing. There is a tutorial on the home page on how to do it.

2txmedics Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 9

I researched it for some time, and I saw a video where they used BC thinned!!! Ive seen several videos like that....would it make that much difference?

Why?

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 9

You can stecil on buttercrem....Of course much eaisier on fondant. However, I just did a class on stenciling. First you really need a stencil thick enough. You can use those you buy in hobby stores, but again a thicker food grade stencil is easier. I hold the stencil in place with pins. I make holes for the pins before I put stencil on cake. Because pushing pins through stencil will smash into cake. But, If pin holes are already there pins go right into hole. Use pins with a head.

Then use a nice flat wide spatula. I bought a putty spatula at Home Depot.
go one direction with the icing. Try to do in as few swipes as possible. I hope some of this helps, if not feel free to ask more questions. Practice on a piece of poster board until you get the feel of it.

2txmedics Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 9

So would there be any difference in the type of BC I used to crust over? I mean my org. recipe I use half/half and whipped cream...this one for this cake I used unsalted butter....

Is there a recipe that would be good for crusting so that stenciling is much easier? Ive tried to post the cake here I think I need to resize it to get it on here to show it. but its in my photos

2txmedics Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 9

Dont know if this will work been trying to post the cake I had problems with

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 10:06pm
post #7 of 9

I have never used a half and half buttercream. But, it must be able to crust. Or the first stencil will be OK ,,but then you wont be able to overlap the stencil if it doesnt crust.

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:03am
post #8 of 9

I heard from someone on here that does beautiful stencil work that she goes and buys the redi made wilton tubes of frosting from michaels and it worked the best for her...I just bought some black to try...I cant remember who she was but her stencilling is amazing..hope this helps icon_smile.gif

2txmedics Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 10:32pm
post #9 of 9

Oh gosh!!! If you recall her name please let me know, I would love to see her work, Im so lost on this...I have a quince. cake to make on the 13th and I really wanted to do them this way.

The woman gave me full control of the flavor and design....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%