6 Tier Square Cake

Decorating By Sweet_Treatz Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 2:18pm by leah_s

Sweet_Treatz Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 3

I have never really done a wedding cake before but I did attempt to do a 3 tier cake for a 60th birthday party once.
But i have someone who wants me to do her wedding cake for 300 ppl but I have alot of questions and hope you guys can help.

Okay, here we go

She wants 6 tiers squared, she wants fondant( I have never covered a cake in fondant) and she wants the fondant swag wrap like thingee.

can this cake handle the swag being that fondant is so heavy?
I read somewhere about having a clearance between the tiers, what exactly is that? and what do you charge someone for something like this.

2 replies
sambugjoebear Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 3

All legalities aside...

6- squared tiers, with sizes, 6", 8", 10", 12", 14", 16" will give you 398 servings

5 squared tiers with sizes 6", 8", 10", 12", and 14" will give you 270 servings.

Is she planning on 300 people showing up or is that how many people were invited? The usual rule of thumb is to plan on cake for 2/3 of people invited (not everyone will show up and not everyone will have cake). Ask her whether she would like a little less or more servings than needed. 2/3 of 300 is 198 (this is probably down to 4 tiers now).

After all that... icon_smile.gif My pricing in Rural, USA would start at $3.00/serving for fondant covered cakes. The fondant swags, if rolled thin enough, will not be too heavy for the tiers.

Since you've never worked with fondant before I'd advise either looking up Homemade Marshmallow Fondant in the recipe section here or purchasing some to practice with (Satin Ice is a favorite on Cake Central for many members, you can purchase it online). For all that is holy please STAY AWAY from the Wilton fondant that you can find in Walmart- it tastes horrible and it's extremely hard to work with. I learned that the hard way with my first wedding cake. Luckily, I got it to work out well and it was for my brother so it worked out icon_wink.gif lol

Feel free to post any other questions that you might have. There are a lot of helpful people on CC icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 3

Honestly, a ginormous, square, fondant covered cake is not the wedding cake to start with.

And if you take the order, remember to bring both your proof of liability insurance and your food handler's permit or catering license with you when you make the delivery. More and more venues are requiring both for food brought from outside the venue.

Other than that, practice, practice, practice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%