Crisp Buttercream And Fondant

Decorating By pastryqueen9 Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 3:54pm by pastryqueen9

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:56am
post #1 of 3

I need some help with buttercream and fondant. When I ice a cake the buttercream often comes out looking more rounded than crisp clean lines/edges on both square and round cakes. How do I get that crisp look with my cakes frosted in buttercream as well as those I crumb coat and cover with fondant?

2 replies
AllyR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllyR Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 12:36pm
post #2 of 3

I'm sure the pros on here will have better advice, but I've found recently that the crisper my cake looks underneath, the better the corners look on the finished product. Originally I thought I would be able to "cover up" any broken edges, etc but I have found that the icing/fondant actually magnifies them. So:
1) I would recommend making sure your cakes are nice a crisp. I usually stack my layers so the bottom of the cake (the part that bakes in the pan) is actually inverted so it becomes the top--those edges are always crisper than the side I level.
2) I now use 2 fondant smoothers to get crisp outer corners. I hold one on top of the cake and one at a 90degree angle on the side of the cake so they meet at the corner and I run them along the entire circumference of the cake.

Good luck and I hope others have great answers!
Ally

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks AllyR

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%