Wedge Topsy Turvy's And Gravity.......

Decorating By Chippi Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 5:46pm by Chippi

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:12am
post #1 of 11

I have searched and searched and I have yet to find a really neat looking styro wedged topsy turvy that is not cake dummys on the top 2 or 3 tiers. After setting this kind of cake up, after sitting for lets say an hour or 2 gravity is going to send it sliding down correct? Thats just plain physics. I am wondering if that is why I am not finding many cakes that are all real cake tiers. The few that I have found seem a lil off center, not as structurely sound looking as the ones with cake dummies. I have a close friend who I am doing her daughters wedding cake for and they want a 4 tiered wedged topsy turvy and I am already having nightmares of the cakes sliding downward. Any CC'ers out there that can give me encouragement and advice how this is pulled off with 4 tiers of cake??? Sooooo appreciated you will never believe because at this point I am thinking of talking them into a regular topsy turvy. icon_rolleyes.gif

I have considered the Caddy Wampus but really don't want to invest in it quite yet. Hubby+Plumbing+the love for his wife=Caddy Wampus! (still expensive)

Thanks everyone for any advice,
Chippi!

10 replies
Chippi Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 7:24am
post #2 of 11

Bumpin!

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:40am
post #3 of 11

bump

Chippi Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 11

Really learnin how to do the "Bump"! Anyone?

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 11

I've done 3 tiered ones, all cake but never 4 tiers. I just stack and dowel as usual, never had a prob with sliding or falling.
All though I thought my Betsey Johnson would fall over because of the bottom wedge I added at the last minute, it didn't.

Here are some pics....

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1491598
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1448937
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1541017
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1597103

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 11

I have done a 3 tier cake like this (I think this is what you are talking about?). Mine are all cake. Basically I transported them completely unassembled, set them up on site by starting with a wedge, then hot glue that to the cake board that the cake is on, then buttercream on the fondant, then cake board which was glued to the next wedge, then glue, cakeboard with cake on it, you get the idea. If your uncomfortable with leaving it like this, you could put a dowel going all the way through but I didn't. I stayed for about 1 1/2 hours just to make sure it didn't slide and it didn't move an inch. Let me know if you have any other questions.
LL

jenbakescakes Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 11

Forgot to mention to dowel as usual! That's an important step!

Chippi Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:07pm
post #8 of 11

So both of you use a dowel at the end down the middle? icon_smile.gif

jenbakescakes Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 11

I didn't use one and it was fine, but if you want to add one for extra strength, go for it! Can never be too well supported right?

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:22pm
post #10 of 11

Colette Peters uses styrofoam wedges in several of her books and gives great visuals on placement and doweling. See if you can get a peek at Cakes to Dream On at your local library or bookstore. My first-born 3-tier topsy turvy was made with wedges. It was a nightmare and quite crudely done, but I fully assembled and drove it through 45 minutes of heavy traffic on bad roads. I kinda wished that it had fallen apart icon_lol.gif , but it arrived in the same condition as it was when I left home. What a learning experience that was - at least it tasted good.

Chippi Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:46pm
post #11 of 11

ibmoser thank you I ordered the book from amazon not a bad price plus I love Colette's cakes! I am going to give this a try, I think I am just worried about gravity. I will post a pic when I finish it. Thank you all for your advice. This one is lil tricky. icon_smile.gif

Chippi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%